Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

2 month old and sleeping???

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM
  • 26 Replies
My 2.5 month old son is still up 2-3 times a night right now and a lot of my friends who have kids close to his age are saying that their surprised cuz their kids are sleeping through the night now :( he normally gets to bed between 7-8. Is up between 10-11 and gets up again around 2, 4 and it fully awake by 5-6. Some nights he'll sleep 4-5 hours at a time but that's usually after a long or rough day of doing things. He takes at least 1 good 2 hour nap during the day, sometimes 2, and then will take mini power naps on an off. We've tried rice cereal but discovered that that's not really doing much. Bath times are every couple days but he doesn't seem to tire out much from it unless he gets upset during the bath. But overall, I guess I'm asking... Is this normal? Could he be sleeping longer? How can I get him to start sleeping longer at night? He's a big baby for his age. He's 14.9 lbs. he doesn't really eat a full bottle when he eats and we offer him 5 oz every time. But he'll either eat it all, or only eat 2-4 oz at a time. I'd really like some advise and help here plzz. Thx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Yes very normal.  My dd did not become a "good" sleeper until nearly 2 years old.  Do not do the rice cereal as that is a old wives tale and can do more harm than good to the baby's digestive system.   Is he fed on demand or schedule feedings?  He will be hitting a growth spurt if he hasnt already.  Babies tend to get rounder right before they get longer.  All you can do is make sure he is getting enough sleep even if that means holding hm for 30 minutes for a good nap during the day.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Babies have TINY tummies and get hungry more often. At 2 months 5oz is to much. Also rice in the bottle is a BIG NO, it can cause digestive issues as well as allergies. Babies eat about every 2-3hrs at that age. Being in a steady routine can help but count yourself lucky with 2-3 night feedings.

My son NEVER slept unless held while be rocked. Nothing helped. He's 4 and still a terrible sleeper. Where as my daughter has been sleeping thru the night since about 1month and she's 8months now.

All children are different and you cannot compare their sleep and eating habbits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kazmira222
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM
I actually hold him ALL the time.. I can't usually get him to go to sleep unless I bounce on an exercise ball. It's like he has to constantly be in motion and that gets tiring. He eats when he wants to eat. I can normally tell when he is hungry but he just won't always keep the same routine. >.<

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes very normal.  My dd did not become a "good" sleeper until nearly 2 years old.  Do not do the rice cereal as that is a old wives tale and can do more harm than good to the baby's digestive system.   Is he fed on demand or schedule feedings?  He will be hitting a growth spurt if he hasnt already.  Babies tend to get rounder right before they get longer.  All you can do is make sure he is getting enough sleep even if that means holding hm for 30 minutes for a good nap during the day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM
At 2 months its hard to keep a routine. Babies are always growing. Try to do the main things around the same time daily... tummy time, bath, lotion, story ect. I've always let my kids be on their own schedule until about 6 months and then we start with routine.

Quoting Kazmira222:

I actually hold him ALL the time.. I can't usually get him to go to sleep unless I bounce on an exercise ball. It's like he has to constantly be in motion and that gets tiring. He eats when he wants to eat. I can normally tell when he is hungry but he just won't always keep the same routine. >.<

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Some babies sleep through the night early, some don't. At 6 weeks, my daughter was sleeping in 8 hour stretches at night. My son is 4 months and is still up at least 2 times a night to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Do you have a baby swing or baby bouncer?  One of those could save you from moving yourself LOL.  At this age the body is still trying to figure out its needs outside of mommy's body.   Try keeping a journal of his eating times and his sleeping times for a week.   See if you notice any patterns for a schedule.

Quoting Kazmira222:

Quoting frndlyfn:

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

He's normal.   Babies are supposed to wake overnight.    Don't compare your baby to other kids.

Keep to the small frequent meals, and no cereal!   He'll sleep longer when he's ready (and then start waking again shortly after!  ;)

nstroble
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about it. My son didn't sleep all the way through the night until he was about 4-5 months. I would just be patient because it seemed like forever to me while I was in your position but my son is 8 months now and I'm looking back and it really did go by quickly. My son still wakes up some times. In fact just a few nights ago he woke up screaming at midnight, drank 6 oz and then went back to sleep. Some times babies just get hungry. Hey I do too.. can't blame them.

ferne3
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Good for those mommas who let their LOs determine when to eat throughout the day, but I need my sleep otherwise I start to go crazy.  We are teaching our LO to sleep through the night now.  Although each baby is different, and it is not abnormal for babies your LO's age to wake during the night, if you want to get a full night's sleep, you can try to teach him too.  There is a book - something like '12 hours by 12 weeks' that is a step by step guide to help your baby sleep longer during the night.  The 12 weeks mark is for multiples, the book says you can start earlier with singletons as they call them, so the time is right for your LO.  It is working wonders for us - I track my LO's eating and the book is right, the food not eaten during night feedings is now consumed during the day so no lack of nutrition - I wish I had it for our first child - we struggled to get her to sleep through the nights, but once we did - all fussiness and tantrums stopped - turned out she was just tired.  Either way you choose - to try and teach your LO to sleep through the night, or to le tthem choose to eat throughouot the night - good luck.

DarlaHood
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I guarantee you all those parents that say their children are sleeping through the night will have their times.  It is completely normal for kids to be erratic sleepers from birth all the way to 5 or 6 years.  They go through phases.  They may sleep soundly all night for a few months or a year, and then go through a stage where they don't.  Some version of this question is one of the most common on CM. 

The best thing you can do is be flexible and roll with it as much as possible.  And it's wonderful that you hold him and cuddle him.  There is a ton of child development research now that shows that holding and being physically close with babies and toddlers stimulates brain growth and forms neural connections.  So by cuddling your son, you are helping his brain to grow in a healthy way, and you're helping him to develop a secure attachment, which will nurture confidence and independence later.  So don't worry about your ds doing what other parents say their children are doing.  Get a Child Development book, and as long as he is reaching milestones, just enjoy your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN