Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bunk beds?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 12 Replies
I am looking at buying bunk beds for my 2 and almost 4yr old dds. I was looking at mattresses and i am really confused, lol. What kind of mattresses to have for your bunk beds. What is a bunkie and a bunkie board. Thank you ladies.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM

We had a bunkie and a bunkie board. The bunkie is a bunk bed size mattress- a little thinner than a twin mattress from what I could see, and a bunkie board is about an inch thick and supports the mattress and sits on top of the posts that run from side to side on the sleeping area of the bed.

mama91605
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

So i need a bunkie board for a bunkie? Lol I didnt know it was so complicated

Quoting Bmat:

We had a bunkie and a bunkie board. The bunkie is a bunk bed size mattress- a little thinner than a twin mattress from what I could see, and a bunkie board is about an inch thick and supports the mattress and sits on top of the posts that run from side to side on the sleeping area of the bed.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

The set we had, the bunkie was the mattress, and it needed a bunkie board- just like a mattress on a bed needs a box spring. :)  The bunkie and bunkie board, by the way, worked fine when we pulled the bunk beds apart later on for twin beds. and then in a few years we bought regular mattresses and box springs for the beds.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
The board is there for support of the mattress. The mattresses are a little thinner. I grew up with them and they hurt my back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

We just have a regular top mattress and a plywood board underneath. Works great.

deepthinker
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting brittany208:

We just have a regular top mattress and a plywood board underneath. Works great.

This is what I did.  I went to home depot and had them cut plywood to the measurements of the frame, I used that in place of a bunkie board.  the bunkie board was about $30-40.  The ply wood was only $8.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My Dad made ours. There is a board where the mattress is to support it.  We just have a twin mattress on ours.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
We have a regular mattress but be careful 4 and 2 are really young for bunk beds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We just have a piece of plywood and a twin mattress in both bunkbeds! I am sure the kids will love it!! Ours have all been in a bunk bed by the time they were two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The bunkie board is extra slat support under the top mattress. If you've seen the bunk built in person you would know for sure if you need it.

We have  a loft and a jr bunk and both have TONS of slats so we opted out of bunkie boards.

The mattresses are quite thin. Depending on how tall the rails are you could go with a regular twin.

It IS confusing!! GL!   :))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)