Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you prepare yourself and your child for daycare?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have to take my baby to daycare at 10 months old. He is 4 months now. I am fortunate I have been able to stay with him until he's a bit older.

I feel it will be the hardest for me. How do you deal with letting someone else care for your baby? Some mothers may not mind, but it will be very hard for me. But, I have to finish school. I also would like him to have the social aspect.

I don't want my baby having any junk food. How do I manage that? Will the daycare work with me. I make all of his baby food and he is on breastmilk and the WAP homemade raw milk formula. That is probably what I am most nervous about; the junk food. I want to be able to make his food on Sunday's and send it with him every day. 

Also I want him to have imagination promoting toys like blocks and things and I know daycares often avoid that because of the clean-up.

I guess I am most nervous to give someone else "the wheel" on caring for my baby.

Also, how do I choose a daycare, what are some things I should look for that maybe I have not thought of.

I would like to make the transition easier on him so that he isn't one of the babies that screams bloody murder when I leave. Should I start taking him a couple of times a month now? If not now, when would you recommend? Will the daycare let me stay there a few days and play with him so that he is more comfortable with the people and surroundings? 

Thanks for the advice!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I dealt fine. My baby ate what they served her. She is 21 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM
All day cares have imagination toys. Why do you think they don't?? It is easier to drop him off and go. Longer you stay it may be a harder transition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Somehow you manage to make me feel like an ass every time you respond to my questions. That's great you deal well with it. It will be hard for me.

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Wow, I answered your questions. That is how I felt. You ask a questions on a message board you get answers. Wanna know what. You are too picky of a mom for daycare. Do you know my dd scratched a kid accidently and the mom freaked, took jer kid out and got an aids test done. Should have never put her kid in daycare. With the way you are, get a nanny.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Somehow you manage to make me feel like an ass every time you respond to my questions. That's great you deal well with it. It will be hard for me.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, I answered your questions. That is how I felt. You ask a questions on a message board you get answers. Wanna know what. You are too picky of a mom for daycare. Do you know my dd scratched a kid accidently and the mom freaked, took jer kid out and got an aids test done. Should have never put her kid in daycare. With the way you are, get a nanny.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting atlmom2:

I feel like a lot of women have a hard time leaving their babies. I would love to get a nanny, but that's incredibly expensive. I KNOW I'm picky! and I hate it! I wish I didn't care SO much, but I do! I don't think him getting hurt is a big deal at all, I expect him to play in the dirt and eat bugs, he's a boy and those things are out of my control and good for him to experience. I mostly care about his diet and the type of interaction he will have.
Lindsey1112
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I work in a daycare center and have for over 8 years. ( I actually work in an infant room right now)

You are asking the right questions. I would first start with making a list of general questions to ask. Then I would start now to tour daycares some you might have to be put on a waiting list if they don't have room.

If u have any questions please feel free to ask me and I'll answer them the best I can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Lindsey1112:

I work in a daycare center and have for over 8 years. ( I actually work in an infant room right now)

You are asking the right questions. I would first start with making a list of general questions to ask. Then I would start now to tour daycares some you might have to be put on a waiting list if they don't have room.

If u have any questions please feel free to ask me and I'll answer them the best I can.

I used to work in a daycare too, I was not pleased with the lack of toys and the food served. Everything was canned, sweetened with HFCS, animal crackers, just a bunch of crap! I don't want my baby eating that way, he doesn't at home and he isn't going to there. If a parent says their child has a gluten and dairy allergy, is that respected? If a parent sends food for their child and the child has a specific diet, is that respected? I want to send all of his food/snacks. What would you recommend is the best way to transition him?
Lindsey1112
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I understand 100% on the food at the daycare I work at we respect the parents wishes. If they bring food from home for that child we give him that and only that. Some places dont even do the food program and you would have to being all your own food.

As for lack of toys well we don't have that problem maybe you could donate some or spread the word to friends that the daycare accepts donations( if that daycare does)

I would tour a few places and look at what kind and how big of selection of toys they have and don't be afraid to ask. If you don't ask you may never know. We strive to help and inform our parents as best we can.
Also other questions you may want to ask are
How much is tuition?part time&full time
What the ratio is?
How many staff work in the room altogether it's harder on kids if there is a ton of staff in and out. Consistency is the best for kids.
Don't forget to bring up your concerns about the food. Ask what they serve and if your not interested I would inform them that you have your son on a certain diet that would would like to provide his food (if they say no you need to leave) it shouldn't be a problem for them to do that.

Transition can be a challenge does he stay with friends, or family while you go a do stuff? Have you guys ever been apart?
If your concerned you could start him alittle earlier and only do a couple hours a couple days to see how he does. Stay with him if you like to but I wouldn't linger sometimes it's harder on them. But it's good to had a routein when you leave so they know what to expect. I would sneak out that could make it harder as well.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Lindsey1112:

I used to work in a daycare too, I was not pleased with the lack of toys and the food served. Everything was canned, sweetened with HFCS, animal crackers, just a bunch of crap! I don't want my baby eating that way, he doesn't at home and he isn't going to there.

If a parent says their child has a gluten and dairy allergy, is that respected?

If a parent sends food for their child and the child has a specific diet, is that respected?

I want to send all of his food/snacks.

What would you recommend is the best way to transition him?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Just go take some some tours, I think you will find a lot of happy kids playing together! I used to be anti-daycare until I started volunteering at one and saw first hand how much fun the kids have and how well behaved they are when there is a routine and consistancy, good books, good toys. Often times when the parents came to pick them up is when they started acting up!

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Thank you! It's good to know that they should be respecting my wishes and that if they're not then they are a no-go. So it's good to have a routine when I drop him off... maybe give him a special "daycare" stuffed animal, or blanket? Do most daycares let children hold onto their toy the entire day? I ask because the one I worked at did not. How soon before I start taking him for full-time should I take him for a couple hours? A week or two ahead maybe twice a week? Sorry, I know, lots of questions!!

Also, do you find how much you like the parent/how the parents treat you, reflects how you or your co-workers treat the child?

Quoting Lindsey1112:

I understand 100% on the food at the daycare I work at we respect the parents wishes. If they bring food from home for that child we give him that and only that. Some places dont even do the food program and you would have to being all your own food.

As for lack of toys well we don't have that problem maybe you could donate some or spread the word to friends that the daycare accepts donations( if that daycare does)

I would tour a few places and look at what kind and how big of selection of toys they have and don't be afraid to ask. If you don't ask you may never know. We strive to help and inform our parents as best we can.
Also other questions you may want to ask are
How much is tuition?part time&full time
What the ratio is?
How many staff work in the room altogether it's harder on kids if there is a ton of staff in and out. Consistency is the best for kids.
Don't forget to bring up your concerns about the food. Ask what they serve and if your not interested I would inform them that you have your son on a certain diet that would would like to provide his food (if they say no you need to leave) it shouldn't be a problem for them to do that.

Transition can be a challenge does he stay with friends, or family while you go a do stuff? Have you guys ever been apart?
If your concerned you could start him alittle earlier and only do a couple hours a couple days to see how he does. Stay with him if you like to but I wouldn't linger sometimes it's harder on them. But it's good to had a routein when you leave so they know what to expect. I would sneak out that could make it harder as well.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Lindsey1112:

I used to work in a daycare too, I was not pleased with the lack of toys and the food served. Everything was canned, sweetened with HFCS, animal crackers, just a bunch of crap! I don't want my baby eating that way, he doesn't at home and he isn't going to there.

If a parent says their child has a gluten and dairy allergy, is that respected?

If a parent sends food for their child and the child has a specific diet, is that respected?

I want to send all of his food/snacks.

What would you recommend is the best way to transition him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)