Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should we make the 2 hour drive to a pediatric ER? Help *update*

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 45 Replies

Last Saturday my daughter fell and scraped her knee.  We didn't think much of it just kept it clean and bandaged.  But I took her to the ER yesterday because she still won't straighten it.  She will put weight on it but she limps everywhere she goes.  She's not sleeping well.  She's cranky and clingy.  She's not running much either.

The ER doctor couldn't figure it out.  They did x-rays and didn't see anything but my sil had a doctor tell her doctors in our area don't know children and they can easily miss something.  They said it might just hurt the scrape on her knee and gave me some antibacterial ointment stronger than you can get over the counter.  Told me to keep it bandaged, wrapped in an ace bandage, and bring her back if she gets a 100 degree fever, any more redness, her pain increases, or she's not completely normal by Sunday morning.

She's keeping it even more bent today.  She's still walking on it but without the ace bandage on she's twisting her leg all over the place.  She's still crying that it hurts.  She's almost 3 so she can't give too many details.

Do you think this wound would keep her from straightening her leg?

*update*

I took her to the ER because her doctor's office told me to.  They don't see trauma nor does any other doctor in the area.  So taking her to her doctor on Monday morning wouldn't have done me any good either.

I had it uncovered but the ER doctor told me to cover it in hopes of softening it to see if something more was going on or it was just from the wound.

Just before we made our final decision she starting straightening it so yay!  No ER trip for us :)

Thanks for all of your help.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elle3615
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Is she the type to act like that for every scrape she gets? If not I say take her because something is still bothering her and it looks like her leg under the scrape is irritated too. I say its better to get a second opinion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No very little slows her down.  Last year she had a tooth that became infected and by the time they pulled it the root was completely eaten away exposing the nerve.  She was fine through all of that didn't act like she was in any pain at all though the dentist says she should have been in tons of pain.

She's usually the type who wants help up when she falls but as soon as I set her on her feet she's off running completely ignoring the blood running down her leg.

Quoting elle3615:

Is she the type to act like that for every scrape she gets? If not I say take her because something is still bothering her and it looks like her leg under the scrape is irritated too. I say its better to get a second opinion

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Can we see the whole knee and the whole knee side by side with the un-injured one? 
Is it swollen? Does it hurt to touch the sides of the knee? If you start to straighten it out what does she do? Is it bearing weight, or the scrape that is sore?  

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM

She has tights and an ace bandage and a band aid on now so I can't really get another picture.  It's not really swollen just a little puffy (in the words of the ER doc).  She won't let us touch anywhere near the knee.  She screams and fights if we try to straighten it.  She will bear weight on it just won't straighten it.  She hates doctors and she's saying she needs to go :(  Sometimes she insists she doesn't need to but still can't show us she can straighten her leg.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Can we see the whole knee and the whole knee side by side with the un-injured one? 
Is it swollen? Does it hurt to touch the sides of the knee? If you start to straighten it out what does she do? Is it bearing weight, or the scrape that is sore?  

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Yeah I would or wait till Monday and got to an orthopedic surgeon. They can order ct or an MRI for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Your answer is there. If she hates doctors and says she needs to go... I am not sure I'd go the 2 hours to a pediatric ER, but maybe one other than the one you were at before? 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

She has tights and an ace bandage and a band aid on now so I can't really get another picture.  It's not really swollen just a little puffy (in the words of the ER doc).  She won't let us touch anywhere near the knee.  She screams and fights if we try to straighten it.  She will bear weight on it just won't straighten it.  She hates doctors and she's saying she needs to go :(  Sometimes she insists she doesn't need to but still can't show us she can straighten her leg.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

take her to an orthopedist who specializes in knees

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Unless there is just some ointment that hasn't been cleaned off of her knee, there is a lot of discoloration on her knee beyond the scrape. I'd take her and not worry all weekend. Please update us when you find out anything?

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies I think we are going to make the drive. I can't take her Monday to an orthopedist because I have to be at school with ds and I would need a referral anyways. Doctor doesn't do trauma so it wouldn't be easy to get one through them. The closest er is an hour away so we would rather just drive the 2 hours to see somebody who understands kids. Will update when we finally know something.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM
It was wet from being cleaned with soap and water. I couldn't get it overly well though.

Quoting Bmat:

Unless there is just some ointment that hasn't been cleaned off of her knee, there is a lot of discoloration on her knee beyond the scrape. I'd take her and not worry all weekend. Please update us when you find out anything?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN