Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottle at bedtime

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 15 Replies

how many with little ones are putting them to bed with a bottle or a pacifier? what do you put in the bottle? water/milk?....what is your opinion: can giving a bottle at bedtime cause earinfections? does it depend on whether the child is upright drinking it or not?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

It's not something I ever did.  I'm glad I didn't.  The bottle is for eating (formula) and drinking (milk, juice, water).  It's not a security blanket.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't use bottles. I often nurse them to sleep though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

A bottle at bedtime will not cause ear infections, but it WILL cause Baby Bottle Tooth Decay.  Google images to see how terrible that can be.  Don't do that to your child. 

Rain2Rinse
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
We used bottles to eat/drink. She didn't need to do either of those things as she fell asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom212
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

just to clarify...my kids are 11 and 16 and were both breastfeed until they were one...so no bottles and no they never had ear infections...i asked i  general because a friend was talking about this and i wanted to hear opinions

megandwade
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Our pediatrician has told us drinking while lying flat will cause ear infections.

My son use to get a bottle before bed, but would never actually fall asleep while drinking it.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I never used a bottle as a comfort object. DD drank from a bottle only when she needed formula and I never let her carry it around. I do leave a sippy in her room every night full of water.

yperez0209
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

The problem isn't so much ear infections it's tooth root. Get rid of both and never look back.

CourtneyReneexo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I never give my son a bottle to take to bed. He is only two years old. I would be nervous he may choke or something but some mothers do. I guess it depends on whether you are comftorable with it or not. I just give my son a bottle of milk right before bath time and then I put his jammies on and he goes right to bed.

stephwordelman1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter just turned a year old a couple weekends ago, she has had to fall asleep with bottle, she has milk in her bottle cuz thats the only way she goes to sleep, but she also wakes up in the middle of the night wanting a bottle, she doesn't like sippy cups i've tried different ones n she doesn't care for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)