• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 18 month old whines when I'm around! Help!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 6 Replies
My 18 month old will be fine but the minute I get home from my hubby keeping her, she starts whining! My parents came over today and she whined so much but I think it's because if me! I stay home with her and she is clingy to me! But I just don't know what to do about the whining when I'm around! Suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

18 months old is one of the big separation anxiety stages. Just assure her that you are there for her, and give her opportunities to be away from you. 
I never told my daughter "No" when she wanted to be held, and wore her a lot. She is now VERY independent. Doesn't mind being away from me at all actually.  

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM
My 20 month old is EXACTLY the same. I've made it a point that as soon as I get home from work, before I even take my shoes off, I hug and hold her and tell her how much I missed her. Then I ask her to come help mommy change her clothes and start dinner. She loves "helping" me and this seems to distract her from her frustration of me being gone all day and having other things to do at home that wouldn't necessarily involve her. She's very whiny to me and I just try to make sure she knows she's important and can help!
stephwordelman1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

i stay at home my daughter just turned 1  a couple weekends ago, if i disappear into the bathroom or kitchen n she dont see me she crys she already starting seperation anxiety

2pink
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Having been in daycare a long time, I see this alot.  It is not uncommon for the child to act out too right after the parent shows up, sometimes really awful behavior!  But, just as the other mother said, just hug her, and include her in all you do.  Just be reassuring to her that she was not forgotten.  Don't punish them if they act up, know it is just from insecurity.

KeriAZ
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM

My 17 yr old son did that when he was a baby. I couldnt take a shower, go to the bathroom or leave the room without him crying!

H79fordgirl
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM
My 17mo dd is exactly the same. Df is always saying "she doesn't do this when she's w me." Cuz they r safest w us and know we will not let them hurt. I know my dd misses me and in a few months she will prob not want as much holding but my 1st is 6 already and it went by so fast. I'm just trying to enjoy it. Remember this too shall pass :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)