Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sons with attitude

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 11 yr old boy that just never stops with the attitude.  I take things away, i have done the time out thing, everything I can think of.  The worse part is his 7 yr old brother is just like him and is starting to give me attitude as well.  Any advice on how to make it stop or at least not so much attitude all the time.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-sita
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I've got a 10 yr old doing the same thing.  Talking back to me and trying to manipulate me in any way he can.  He's cussed at me, told me I'm stupid, that he's stupid, anything he can think of.  I have no idea what to do besides spanking the crap out of him, but I don't like physical punishments.

cairymom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I have tried the spanking as well but I dont do that very often because my father was a very abusive dad so I dont want to spank them because of that.  I am not with my kids father so they go to their dad every other weekend and the weekends I have my boys it seems like the attitude is worse.  I know there dad does not have any rules for them and lets them do whatever they want.  I just dont know what I can do.

hunnybunny2001
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I think it's the age imo my 12yr old had been the same way since she was 10.. I don't believe in physical punishment so she's always grounded to her room..lol taking thinks away and chores works for me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

A lot of it is the age, however I think you need to deal with it head on.

Be consistant and firm. When he starts giving attitude, deal with it right away. Hang in there mama. Soon these dayswill  be over and you'll miss them. I know I already do.

LeetjieJ
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I have 2 sons - they do go through a stage, but if you don't deal with the stage, it becomes a habit.

I used to give attitude straight back - not take them to their friends or allow friends over, think up really unpleasant chores (they hated cleaning their bathroom).

Sadly, at that age, there does need to be quite an unpleasant consequence to get their attention - otherwise they don't get it.
cairymom
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I have made him (all my kids for that matter) do chores, not get to go somewhere when suppose to, I have seriously tried everything.  I handle the attitude right then I dont wait until later.  He usually gets sent to his room and he knows he cant play, watch tv do anything but sit on his bed.  It had gotten so bad with him that he didnt have anything in his room but his bed and I even took the door off bc he was sneaking things he wasnt suppose to have.  His attitude isnt as bad as it was a few years ago but when he gets in a bad mood its hard to get him out of it and his day is shot from there.

maengle
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
When I figure out the secret with my 8 & 11 yr old I'll let ya know.
cairymom
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

LOL! Please do. 

nurbabe82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom used to have me write sentences. And not short little ones either lol. I would have to write the sentence 100 times in my best handwriting. If she didn't like my handwriting I had to start all over. It was mostly over my attitude, but it taught me a lesson, I only had to write sentences a couple times before it sank in. Good Luck!

HLmom89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Wow sounds like my 5 year old ds. He talks back, punishes his 2.5 year old brother, uses hurtful words, demands he is right even though i am older than him and know more, he tells everyone they are not the boss and mommy and daddy are, but the minute we tell him something he says your not the boss. If i punish him he runs upstairs and slams doors.

We to have taken things away, time outs, spankings, ignored it, even took him to a counsler, but nothing seems to work. This attitude has been going on since 3 years old, but seems to get worse the older he gets. And his 2.5 year old brother is watching and is starting it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured