Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good punishments for a mouthy kid?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 14 Replies
OK, since my son turned 9...He just thinks the world revolves around him and he doesn't have to listen or answer to anyone... He yells, and screams, and cries...I am over it Just a few minutes ago, He asked for a snack for him and his 3 friends that are spending the night. I was in the middle of blowing up the air mattress, so I told him to wait till I was done and I would fix a snack for everyone. Instead of just saying OK, he stomped off to the other room and started screaming at my husband to get him a snack now!! and then he kicked one of his toys and almost broke my guitar. Well as you can imagine, that didn't go over well. The toy he kicked got thrown away...because obviously he doesn't care enough about it to take care of it. Then my husband had a "chat" with him. I don't know what was said but he came back in to me and said sorry. A while later, we said it was time to turn the video games off and get ready for bed because we have church in the morning. That was another fit... If the other kids parents were not out of town tonight, I would have taken them home. But I have them till church tomorrow...So starting tomorrow after church he has been grounded for a week from everything with a screen except for school work. That is going to leave him with a lot of free time...So I want him doing chores...besides his normal chores of cleaning the bathroom, taking out trash, cleaning his room, feed and water pets, and keeping his room clean. What other jobs are appropriate for a 9 year old that will keep him busy? Any ideas?
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you're doing the right things. I'd just really get on his case and don't allow that behavior at all. Nip it in the bud. And look for any ways you can build love for others/being considerate/ etc etc. Maybe your chuch has some opportunities for you to volunteer to help people. NOT as a punishment! but as a value to instill in him to think of others.

moogsmom03
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Writing lines? I have my DD9 do this sometimes. Have him do some mundane organizing of things in his room, drawers, matching socks... maybe even volunteer at a soup kitchen or something so he realizes how good he has it?? 

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I don't know any other chores.........but if it were my child being mouthy he/she would be getting a mouth wash! Trust me a few times at that he/she won't be mouthy anymore (talking about my kids).

But whatever works for you!!! To each their own.............

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Since you told him a week you have to stick with it. It's going to be hard! Do you have a dog he can walk?

MJP76
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Give him your chores.

ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Swiffing. Vacuuming. Dusting. Cleaning mirrors.  Setting the table for dinner. Setting the table for any meal on the weekend.

Cleaning up any condiments, salt/pepper, serving dishes after a meal.

Cleaning the table after it has been cleared. 

Cleaning counters wherever they are.

Taing small rugs outside and beating the dirt out of them.

Emptying garbage cans all over the house.

Send him here.  I can keep him busy for a week!

LISABEE547
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

FIND THE TIME TO TALK TO TO HIM WHEN YOU ARE NOT BUSY OR UPSET. LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU EXPECT FOR HIM TO ACT WHEN HIS FRIENDS ARE OVER. SOMETIMES THE FRIENDS MAY BE PRESSURING HIM TO HURRY OR THEY MAY BE COMPLAINING ABOUT YOU TO HIM. INVOLVE HIM AND HIS FRIENDS MORE THE NEXT TIME WITH PREPARATION AND LET THEM MAKE SANDWICHES.

IntactivistMama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Sweeping, vacuuming, setting/clearing the table. Washing floors...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissIz
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

SPRING CLEANING!! 

Even if you live in an apartment complex. Make him go outside and do yard work. Clean around the house, and I dont mean vaccuming or picking up toys..I mean cleaning the windows, the toilets, throwing away all his old toys etc. If after a week of corporal cleaning he still talks back n such..one day just slap him while hes doing it. He will quit. 

liliem
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I started my son on putting away dishes, putting them in the dish washer. Be careful though, we lost a lot of dishes and glasses (all wine glasses). But we stopped losing them after a year and he no longer handles wine glasses... They are just too fragile. I also do things with him, like have him clean the things while I dust next to him so I can teach him. Like I probably should have done dishes with him together before just handing it to him...something I'll do with my next child when it's time. But he just turned 12 and we clean the whole house together and I teach him new things all the time. And he did a really good job in his room for once. I think someone told him not to do a good job so he can get out of it, and I think I know who. That person is out of our lives and he's doing exponentially better everyday. It's really nice! I don't mind him getting in trouble too much anymore. And he is a lot less mouthy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)