Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family member's smacking their 18 month old,Need advice!!!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
My sister in law has two children,She isn't with either of their dad's. Now is with another guy who had a newborn son when they meet,who is now 18 months. His mother pretty much has nothing to do with him so he stays with his dad,and my sister in law. He is ALWAYS crying/screaming.most of the time he wants held and once they pick him up he stops crying,but once they put him down he crys again, so they put him in time out until he quits crying, or they just flat out smack him in the mouth,face,hand,leg where ever. It is clearly abuse. It's is heart breaking and my other sister in law and I have had enough. They were just told by my other sister in law 2 weeks ago they need to calm down with the kid's,and nothing changed. How would you handle this, without getting children services involved? Which sadly it might have to come to that,for the kids.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think you are going to be able to help the kids without children's services. And just think if that's what they are comfortable doing to them in front of you, what are they comfortable doing when nobody is watching? I'd call children's services. 

LilDzMamma2010
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Personally I would get children services involved. Its a rough thing to do but that is abuse and its not fair to that sweet baby.

imultracool
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Poor lil baby. All he wants is love and cuddles but instead they smack him. That makes my heart hurt. :( If talking with them hasn't worked you might have to call cps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandac512
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I agree I think he's crying for attention and love.  and very good point on what are thet doing at home,when no ones around,if this is what they do around family. :/  So stressful and sad.

GremlinMom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM
How about talk to them? Mom is obviously overwhelmed and doesnt have the patience or doesn't know what else to do. Ask her to let you help, don't undermine her either when you help. It's ridiculously frustrating to deal with a toddler that wants to be held 24/7 when you have other kids to take care of. That means she's listenin to him whine and scream and cry all day when she does everything she needs to and can't hold him. For 18 months. Someone let her rejuvinate her patience!
stargaze281
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM
that's soooo mean. it's wrong to ignore and smack an 18 month old! IT is no doubt, abuse! some serious help is needed there!
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Call CPS. Now. You already said it's clearly abuse. Why haven't you called?

They're not going to take the children for this, but the may have some intervention and education for the family. 

titi8
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM

mama snaps, how do you know they are not going to take the children?

Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Quoting LilDzMamma2010:

Personally I would get children services involved. Its a rough thing to do but that is abuse and its not fair to that sweet baby.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Poor kids.  :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)