Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

MY 5 YEAR OLD JUST WILL NOT STOP PEEING HIMSELF!!! PLEASE HELP -EDITED

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 67 Replies

My 5 year old SS pees himself everytime he sleeps. I have tried everything!! I put a shower curtain underneath his sheet but his mattress still has hundreds of pee stains from before and I can not afford him a new mattress, he just got that one not even a year ago. I have tried training paints but even those add up in money and I have an infant I need to buy diapers for plus food and bills and other expenses these just are hard to fit inmy budget. I have to wash his sheets every day and to save me some hassle I have taught him how to wash his own sheets, but still its frustrating and is costing me a lot more money than it should. I smell urine all the time he always smells like urine and pees everytime he goes to bed and every time he naps. I am so lost at what I should do!!! I have took him to the doctors, and she asked if he was being abused or if he is exposed to abuse and he is not, I am with him every second unless he is at school. I just don't know what to do anymore. I am OCD and having the smell of urine in my home is absolutely driving me crazy!! I have stocked up on lysol and febreze sprays but the just barely cover up the scent and I really want to just get rid of the problem!!! Please help I need some advice!!

I got a few comments about him washing his own sheet...this is something all my children do and it is NOT a punishment...simple my parenting style. ALL of my children learn to clean up after themselves no matter if they spill their food or drink on the floor, if they splash the bathroom wet after a bath, if they get their toys all over their room, no matter what they do to make a mess they clean up after themselves!! THIS IS NOT  PUNISHMENT!!! This is simply life skills that I as a mother would like my children to have. I believe they will be better teenagers and adults because of this and they do not look at it as a punishment. SO BEFORE YOU COMMENT! NO I DO NOT PUNISH HIM FOR IT!! But I will not treat him any differently because of it either so yes he WILL wash his own sheets and no I do not have to tell him to do so!! And NO he does not think of it as a punishment and he does get a sticker on his incentive chart the same as he would any other chore.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megandwade
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM
3 moms liked this

It seems like you are focusing too much on how this is costing you money and how it is causing you a hassle... you should have a little more compassion for your 5 year old.I assume it is probably making him feel embarrassed enough as it is and I'm sure it's affecting his self-esteem?

You can buy a washable waterproof pad to go under his sheet. Have him bath after he wakes up so that he doesnt smell like urine. If his urine is that strong maybe you should talk to the doctor about why it smells so bad? Give him more water as to other drinks (lack of water makes your urine smell stronger) and Limit his fluid intake before naps and bedtime. Make him use the bathroom before he lays down. Spend less money on febreze and more money on over night pants so he doesn't ruin his mattress. Don't be angry with him. Talk to him and see how he feels.. is he having bad dreams, is something bothering him? Try to help him over come this issue without making him feel bad about himself! Celebrate any successful naps/night and tell him how proud you are!

javakitty2011
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

suprprised the dr didn't do a U/A with the urine smelling so strong, he could have an infection, more likely he just has imature bladder and is unable to control,. My son wet the bed until he was atleast 12 most everynight. can't help peeing while asleep.  his body will eventually be able to control it. when my son outgrew the kids pullups I switched to the smallest adult briefs, don't have to buy the name brands. today's generics work very well,

xoxRachelxox
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Get him plastic mattress cover and buy him some pull ups. I think making him do his own sheets is a little much. He can't control his bladder while he's sleeping. You making him wash his sheets, seems like a punishment to me and you shouldn't punish for potty accidents.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Depending on what size his mattress is you can get an inflatable for time being as well as a full mattress cover for it to protect from the urine.  The washing of sheets i can see as a life skill at this age.  Accidents happen so we need to clean them up.  I agree with the others.  Stop focusing on the money and wasting it on odor maskers and try to figure out what caused this if it was a sudden onset of sleeping accidents.   Does he have any special needs?

mamisjourney
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Get him plastic mattress cover and buy him some pull ups. I think making him do his own sheets is a little much. He can't control his bladder while he's sleeping. You making him wash his sheets, seems like a punishment to me and you shouldn't punish for potty accidents.

How is him cleaning up after himself punishment? That was actually suggested by a psyciatrist as an idea. If thats your opinion to not make your children do chores than thats you...is it punishment to have your kids clean up their room when they play of the dinner table when they eat? All my children (minus my infant) clean up after themselves and they start as soon as they understand they made a mess. I believe they are going to be better teenagers and adults because of it. So just bc it is not something you would do doesn't make it punishment.

CafeMom Tickers
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

There may not be anything at all you can do about it.  For some kids, this reality is normal.  They develop slower and their bladders are essentially too small for their bodies.  I would get a REAL rubber sheet, not just a shower curtain, and DO NOT YELL at him for wetting the bed.  Tell him that it's ok, that you know he can't help it, and that he'll grow out of it when he's a little older.  Do you bathe him or wash him down when he wakes up so that HE doesn't actually smell like urine?

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM

And I agree that you should not be making him wash his own sheets.

Matriarch87
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Uhh...why didn't you do the shower curtain thing before he ruined his mattress? Also if you look online you can get the pee smell out of the mattress. There is no reason your son should smell like pee. Have you talked to him about it? What's his deal? Is he not waking up? Is he having nightmares? If your son can wash his own bedding I would think he should be able to communicate why he is wetting the bed...could be constipation. I read a neat article that correlated constipation with bedwetting and yes even if you poop everyday you can still be constipated. Google it for the article.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momrocks2000
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Why are you having your 5 year old son washing his own sheets?  I would discontinue this practice, as a 5 year old shouldn't be using a washer & dryer. Geesh.  I hope you are not 'punishing him by making him do his own laundry at 5'.   Please take your son to his pediatrician & discuss this issue privately with the doctor, not with your son in the room.  Make it discreet.  Children sometimes have these types of issues, and can be emotionally tramasizing to the child too, embarrasment, etc.  My daughter had this issue, I never made her feel bad.  Please purchase Goodnights or similar product for your son, make it a priority to purchase these.  There are machines that can wake your child up.  There is also a prescription medication that can help too. Also, restriction of liquids like 2 to 3 hours before bedtime may assist too.  Discuss with your son's dr. as soon as possible.   STOP making this your son's problem.  Your son may have a small bladder, he sleeps very deep.  Incontenance in children is very common, how parents deal with it, is another.  Please be kind.  Make sure your son gets appropriate baths or showers if he has a nightly accident...he can get a UTI from being soaked in urine.  Don't make him feel bad or a baby for having a urination problem...it can make it much worse. 

momrocks2000
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Exactly.  I agree ! 

Quoting megandwade:

It seems like you are focusing too much on how this is costing you money and how it is causing you a hassle... you should have a little more compassion for your 5 year old.I assume it is probably making him feel embarrassed enough as it is and I'm sure it's affecting his self-esteem?

You can buy a washable waterproof pad to go under his sheet. Have him bath after he wakes up so that he doesnt smell like urine. If his urine is that strong maybe you should talk to the doctor about why it smells so bad? Give him more water as to other drinks (lack of water makes your urine smell stronger) and Limit his fluid intake before naps and bedtime. Make him use the bathroom before he lays down. Spend less money on febreze and more money on over night pants so he doesn't ruin his mattress. Don't be angry with him. Talk to him and see how he feels.. is he having bad dreams, is something bothering him? Try to help him over come this issue without making him feel bad about himself! Celebrate any successful naps/night and tell him how proud you are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)