Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

eye drops for 19 m old: strategies?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 20 Replies
my lo caught the pink eye at daycare and putting the eye drops is a nightmare. any strategies? we cant seem to get to the 4 daily dosis he needs
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Hold him and do it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:00 AM

have him close his eyes when you put the drops on, and then once they are in place, have him blink a few times.  It worked well when my 2 year old had the same thing.

DCR1
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

capture his attention by holding his favorite toy in the eye drop position this should do the trick!

PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I agree with PP. Tell him what you're going to do, and have a towel ready to catch the drips. Have him close his eyes and drop the liquid into the corner of his eye. Then when he blinks, it'll go right in. But keep a towel handy, because from what I remember, it stings, and babies like towels. lol

MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It's like WWIII to get a splinter out of my LO's hand, foot, whatever.  The way we do things like that is that one of us holds LO down and the other one just does what needs to be done.

betsyfaith
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Have him close his eyes, put a drop in each inside corner, when he opens them, enough will get in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Call the pedi back and get an ointment.  It's a lot easier to do whent they're that little.  Plus the ointment is soothing and doesn't sting like the drops do.

som610
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Marimaru:

have him close his eyes when you put the drops on, and then once they are in place, have him blink a few times.  It worked well when my 2 year old had the same thing.

My daughter had a lazy eye and from the time she was 9 months to the age of 2 and 3 months we had to do dialating drops 2-3 times a week. This worked very well for us. Also distracting her with something else while one of us did it helped as well. When she wouldn't cooperate we just held her down and did it. It was sad but worked.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Hold him down. If they fight it at that age it is the only way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CDMelty
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Put the drops in the inside corner of his eye, the side by his nose. Even if his eye is closed, when he blinks the eyedrops will run into his eye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)