Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Back yard chickens?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:16 AM
  • 2 Replies

I'm in an area where backyard farming is doable, I'm considering getting a few chickens. Anyone do this? Advice on getting started?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
unspecified42
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I love my hens! There are different types of housing- tractors with wheels that you can roll around, or you can do a fixed coop and a run, or just a coop and letting them free range. It depends on how much work you want moving them and your space, etc. mine are in a dog house with a run around it.

They'll lay an average of an egg a day for most good laying breeds. But really, you'll never have problems getting rid of fresh eggs:) people always are willing to take them! Get some feeders and watered and you'll only have to fill them occasionally, making them low maintenance. And they love pretty much any kind of table scraps.

I decided what breeds to get based on what color eggs they lay. I wanted all different, so I got a variety. I get white, green, light reddish brown, darker brown with speckles, and dark chocolate brown. Just make sure they have somewhere to lay that it's easy to retrieve the eggs from!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Thanks!

I think my dog would be too tempted to try something if I let them free range, and I don't want to risk it. She's a good girl, but better safe then sorry. I'm thinking about buying or building one on wheels, have you ever used anything like that? I heard that it would be better to move them around in the yard, but not why that's better.

Do the eggs all taste different? (lol, city question...)

Quoting unspecified42:

I love my hens! There are different types of housing- tractors with wheels that you can roll around, or you can do a fixed coop and a run, or just a coop and letting them free range. It depends on how much work you want moving them and your space, etc. mine are in a dog house with a run around it.

They'll lay an average of an egg a day for most good laying breeds. But really, you'll never have problems getting rid of fresh eggs:) people always are willing to take them! Get some feeders and watered and you'll only have to fill them occasionally, making them low maintenance. And they love pretty much any kind of table scraps.

I decided what breeds to get based on what color eggs they lay. I wanted all different, so I got a variety. I get white, green, light reddish brown, darker brown with speckles, and dark chocolate brown. Just make sure they have somewhere to lay that it's easy to retrieve the eggs from!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN