Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my 7 y/o son going to a therapist!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 31 Replies
I dont know who to star this its so hard for me but I need some advaice if any of you girls have ever been in this situation, my son its been having trouble since he star first grade, he is really impulsive, he have a hard time staying on his seat or paying attention, lately he is most of the times in a bad mood, he can be ok one sec. And the next he is mad so I decide it to call his dr. To get him testit for adhd and after I talk with the person doing my appoiment he said that it seems like he needs to see a therapist or psychiatrist I feel so bad but I know he needs help too also my family and in laws got so mad at us for takin him , they say he is ok that its our fault thzt bhe is like that cause we always buy him what he wants but its not true I feel so desperate any coments will help thanks sorry it s so long I gues I only needit to talk with someone other then my family.
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

They might be sending you to a psychiatrist for a diagnoses.  A lot of pedi's won't diagnose ADHD.  And a psychiatrist can/will also prescribe medication for you if that's the route you want to go.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think seeing a therapist can gain insight for you as parents to find out if it is truely your behavior and actions affecting his or if it is something internal going on that needs further treatment. A neutral 3rd party has fresh ideas as well as (hopefully) years of experience with children to know what is common for this age and what is not.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Omg! Go visit life in the balance.com. Read the explosive child- buy copies for ur family.
Your son has a disability! He most likely has adhd. Poor impulse cotrol, easily frustrated, willful, inflexible ... Its NOT you. And honestly, there is nothing " wrong" with him!
Im mobil right now, hate typing mobile...
Will come back later - please check out the website!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
valery06
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Thanks I will.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM
What discipline do you use and how consistant. Strong willed kids need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntFib
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You're doing the right thing!  There just seems to be some kind of "stigma" to seeing a "shrink".  And for some reason, when it's a CHILD being evaluated or counseled, the parents are sometimes thought of as "lazy" (wanting someone else to take time to fix their child) or "looking for someone to blame for their own parental ineptitude".  

I took my younger daughter to a counselor for a couple years (I have 4 kids) due to her excessive lying.  There HAS to be a reason kids do the things they do, and when the parent can't find the reason, a professional is the next step to improving your child's, and the entire family's, life!  

Don't worry about what the rest of your family or in-laws think.  You are doing what you feel is best to help your son!   

Good luck.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Does he have anything else going on?  My son is very impulsive and has a really hard time sitting in a seat too.  Right now he's standing and dancing while doing his school work.  He also can go from happy to mad in a second and has a really hard time with anything he sees as not right.  He can't just recover from things like other kids.  He has a hard time with water, artificial lighting, and sounds especially if there are a lot of different noises all going on at once.

How is he academically?  It could be sensory processing disorder instead of ADHD.  My son sees an occupational therapist for SPD.  My niece has ADHD.  My son has more extreme moodiness than my niece does she just has a hard time focusing on anything.  Can your son focus on things outside of school?  My niece has a hard time focusing on anything.  My son can focus as long as there is nothing his body is having a hard time with sensory wise.

You might talk to his teacher and get permission to use one of these in class...

http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Brand-Exercise-Balance-Cushion/dp/B0024JW96I

We love ours :)

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I beg to differ! Kids do well when they can! Kids who are struggling need help, not discipline! Her son can no more sit in his seat then he could walk up a flight of stairs from a wheelchair! This is a disability! Punishing him for getting out of his seat with random concequences wont ever teach him how to remain seated! 

Are you one of those parents that believe that kids who are strong willed or impulsive have permissive noncontingent parents? Cause if you do, then may i suggest you change the glasses your looking through. 

Kids do well IF they can! Everyone wants to do well. Kids dont chose to explode because they want to... Any more then a child would chose to have a reading disability. Explosions are not planned or purposeful. Doing well is always prefered over not doing well. 

I'll best the posters son is wonderful unless we are tapping into a delayed skill that has not been developed. 

Quoting atlmom2:

What discipline do you use and how consistant. Strong willed kids need it.

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

ADHD needs to be diagnosed by an Psychiatrist because of too many false diagnosisis like ADHD whin it is Autism or ADHD when it is just a strong willed child with little to no boundries and needs parental support, not meds. I would say ignore your family. You see there is something wrong, regardless if you caused it or not, it needs fixed and they need to shut up. My dd is 11 and in therapy, he went at 5 and at 7 to psychiatrists for diagnosing of Autisim. There is not shame in seeking help for your child. He sound like he needs it. If you did something as a parent that made it worse, who cares? You didn't knowingly do it and are now seeking help for him. If it turns out to be a behavioral issue that just needs change in parenting, be thankful. Haivng a child with ADHD or Autism is not easy. I do not know your situation so i cna not rule ou parenting, different kids respond differently to differnt styles of parenting. Perhaps the style you are choosing isn't the best fit for your ds. Perhaps he has an underlying issue like ADHD or Autisim. It makes no difference, you are proving you are a great mom by taking him to get the services he needs and not listening to those who say to let it be. Parents make mistakes, part of the learning process, but knowing our child needs help and ignoring it is not a mistake, that is bad parenting. You obviously are not a bad parent. Take him to the appointment. At 7 I woul not opt for meds and opt for behavioral modifications first. Meds for ADHD and Autisim can be more harmful in the long run for children so trying non-med routes first should be done, under the care and guidnace of a LCSW or MFT to talk to and get feedback. It is not going to be easy regardless of the cause, you should be getting support on this journey. Stay away from family memebrs who either will not elect to keep their opinion to themselves or undermine your efforts. make sure if there is a father in the piture that you and he are both on the same page on how to deal with your son so you are not undermining each other. Take a deep breath and relax. You are doing right by your ds and that is all that matters.

valery06
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM
We have try everything to discipline, we try time out witch he dose with out complaining we try the reward if he do good at school and many more things but I know there is somethnig more going onwith him some times he say he wish he can consentrait but he cant because he needs to move.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN