Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should I put my 12 y/o on birth control?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 12 year old dd is going to live with her father for a while. I'm really concerned about her being properly supervised consistently. I've heard way too many stories about children becoming sexually active earlier. I have educated her the best I can about the subject, but I was considering taking her to the gyno to get on birth control. Thoughts?
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Why lie? She'd think she was crazy with symptoms that were actually side effects! No way, no lying. She'd resent it

Quoting ljeanbeans:

IMO, would only do this if she had endometriosis or something to that affect and if the hormone was especially safe. Maybe find a type that doesn't need to be taken daily.

Just a thought....if you wanted her on BC...you could tell her it was a vitamin pill or some such (not telling her what it's for) and that you and her father insisted that she take it everyday. That way it wouldn't give her the idea that it's a license. Of course, make sure she knows that she can and should be open with you about these subjects in case she ever decides to get a prescription herself (teenagers can do this) she won't accidentally double dose herself.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Responsible is having faith you raised your kid right. Not screwing with their hormones for no good reason because you're not confident in what you've done. My kids have nothing to do with my post. How does she even know her kid will take the BC? She doesn't. 

Quoting whoodathunk:

That's why she needs to talk with her GYN.  Saying she's not a good mother?  That's harsh and judgemental.  You can teach your child right from wrong, you cannot be with them every second to make sure they make the right choices.  Twelve seems young to even consider birth control, but at least she's being responsible enough to make sure her child doesn't get pregnant.  How old are your children? 

Quoting EvilAsh:

They would not do Mirena in a child. Any doc that would is a useless idiot. That's ridiculous. Mirena gave me cysts that caused me to stop ovulating and I was told I'd never get pregnant again. After 2 years of trying and suffering with this crap, they ruptured and I got pregnant. 

Why would you EVER want to put your child through that? The possibility of never being able to have children because she wasn't a good enough mother to teach her child right from wrong?

And the Depo shot depletes the body of calcium and it's not a good thing either. 

Quoting whoodathunk:

How would you know she was taking it?  Maybe the injection or mirena or something would be better?  Talk to the gyn.  Also, remind her how important condoms are so she doesn't get herpes or hiv. My son's 11.  I'm hoping for a few more years!

CafeMom Tickers
ARMYWife624
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Do it!!!!!!! My neice started having sex at 11!!!!! Better safe than sorry!!!!
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

if you do, go with something tried an true...these new methods that come out are very troublesome down the road, and i'm sure you don't want to cause fertiity problems for her....a lot of new ones have been recalled and are now subjects of lawsuits

lind.shep
by Lindsey on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I was 13 the first time I had sex. My sister's friend got pregnant at 11. If you have any feeling that it could happen, put her on bc.
marisab
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM

depends ? what makes u worry that she might

LABELmeCUTE
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
My DD is 11 & I'm hoping not to even thing about that for atleast 5 more years (6years if I'm lucky) it really depends on how mature your DD is
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
This. I personally think 12 is too young.

Quoting colins_mom:

I.wouldnt. talk to.her openly. tell her that if she feels she is ready for sex to talk to you. dont force her to grow up so fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I knew a family where the mom when the girls reached a certain age (I forget the age). The mom would talk to her daughters about how they feel sex is only for marriage and give all the reasons. She explained how they would have naturaldesires and it was their choice what to do. She gave the girl a lock box and key. Then discussed all perscription birth control methods and asked the daughter to open the box. Mom showed her an envelope and said she hoped if her daughter wanted prescription birth control she would come to her first. But if she was not comfortable the envelope held a letter giving her permisson to get on birth control. The box also contained OTC BIRTH CONTROL and the mom explained how each was used. After she told her daughter the box was their's and mom would not ask about it or look in it. If they wanted to talk mom was there. I accidently walked in on one of those conversations and some years l8r when that daughter married her mom explained it to me. Get this she had 8 children 7 were girls and they were all virgins when they married. Her son got his girlfriend pregnant when they were both 16. I'd do something similar.
colins_mom
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I actually like this idea. it shows that you trust your kids to make the best decision for them and that you are allowing them to take things into their own hands. I would have loved for my mom to do something like this

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

I knew a family where the mom when the girls reached a certain age (I forget the age). The mom would talk to her daughters about how they feel sex is only for marriage and give all the reasons. She explained how they would have naturaldesires and it was their choice what to do. She gave the girl a lock box and key.

Then discussed all perscription birth control methods and asked the daughter to open the box. Mom showed her an envelope and said she hoped if her daughter wanted prescription birth control she would come to her first. But if she was not comfortable the envelope held a letter giving her permisson to get on birth control. The box also contained OTC BIRTH CONTROL and the mom explained how each was used.

After she told her daughter the box was their's and mom would not ask about it or look in it. If they wanted to talk mom was there. I accidently walked in on one of those conversations and some years l8r when that daughter married her mom explained it to me.

Get this she had 8 children 7 were girls and they were all virgins when they married. Her son got his girlfriend pregnant when they were both 16.

I'd do something similar.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)