Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

cutting my son's hair for the first time

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm afraid to cut my son's hair for 2 reaons. 1, he has never had his hair cut before. 2, I have never cut hair before. I've got a pair of little kids blunt tipped scissors I intend to use for his bangs. My precious baby and his precious baby hair....did anyone else feel like this?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this

do not cut it yourself take him to a hairdresser.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Aww! I'm learning to cut hair via YouTube. I buzz my dh head for him but I don't want to buzz ds. There are alot of easy tutorials on YouTube.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ljeanbeans
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM

There are not easy access hairdressers near here and I can't afford a cut anyways. Someone else told me that 2 people had to hold her son down and the third person cut - what a nightmare. I plan to do this while he's in his highchair first, and while he's asleep if that doesn't work. Do you have YouTube video links you recommend?

lnr187
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

we brought ss to a hair dresser. we kept the locks, but to be honest, we were not sad about the cut AT ALL! we had pictures done when he was 18 mo old, and when we saw the prints is when i really noticed how bad he needed a cut! we brought him to a hair dresser the first time. after that i've always done it with clippers.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I cut my kids hair, they only just recently had a hair cut but a pro (they're 7 & 9) I always use an electric hair clipper.

I probably wouldn't use blunt tip kids scissors, they won't be as sharp and it's important to use sharp scissors so you don't pull his hair.

Good luck mama.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I'm the only one who's ever cut my kids hair and have been cutting my husband's for almost 10 years.  I never cut hair before.  But hair cutting scissors at cvs or walmart or someplace. Buy the best you can afford and only use them for hair.  Take pics before and after and save a piece for your memory album.  My poor son wore a mullet for his first couple years cause I just couldn't cut those curls...don't do that, it looks silly!  You'll be fine!  Remember, hair grows back!  Just don't cut it right before pics or special occasions!

ljeanbeans
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I'll get some good cutting scissors, thanks for that tip! Another friend recommended that I get blunt tip because it's safer. Seems pretty cheapy, yeah, but the cashier at the store told me she had these ones I got and they're so strong and sharp she uses them to cut wire. IDK. It's going to be a bit of an operation! LOL happyand a little bit emotional for me. Aaaah.

xoxRachelxox
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

If you aren't a hairdresser, I wouldn't cut it yourself. At least not the first cut. I'd take him to a hairdresser, even if they're far away. They tend to not sit still... 

ljeanbeans
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I hardly go to the dresser myself...so this is why I'm not sure and might be wrong. I was thinking about this the opposite way...that if he doesn't sit still it won't work with a dresser. I would be very frustrated and mortified if he threw a fit and didn't let the dresser finish and I still had to pay for it?

MissIz
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh lordy!

If you have never cut hair with scissors..DONT try with baby silly goose!

If you want to cut it short, use  a buzzer. Put an attatchment and go to town. He will probably laugh because it feels funny. I cut my sons hair, but I went to school. I use a buzzer anyway.

Why would I go pay someone to cut my kids hair when I can just get rid of it by myself?

If you want a hair style of some sort, take him to a salon of some sort. If you want to just cut it off..then do the easy way. Its fast and your kid wont feel uncomfortable at a place he's never been before getting something done to him that never has been done to him before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)