Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

cutting my son's hair for the first time

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm afraid to cut my son's hair for 2 reaons. 1, he has never had his hair cut before. 2, I have never cut hair before. I've got a pair of little kids blunt tipped scissors I intend to use for his bangs. My precious baby and his precious baby hair....did anyone else feel like this?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (11-17):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I cried the first time I got my daughter's hair cut. It's normal. 

robbinsroost
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

If this is your first cut I strongly suggest you don't use scissors. Also you need hair scissors, not kids scissors. Get some clippers with attachments to cut with. Watch youtube videos and get an idea of what you want to do.

I cut my DH and DS hair and have cut the girls a couple times. Scissor cutting is much harder and is why I hate doing my girls hair.

LadyMarissa
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Do NOT cut it yourself!!!  Ask around & find a local barber who is good with children.  Now days people specialize in everything & even my sleepy little town has a barber who prefers to cut children's hair.  He is GREAT with making the child feel comfortable & not ending up being traumatized with the ordeal!!!  Just don't do like a neighbor & not cut it & then get pisssed when people comment on what a cute little girl you have!!!

ljeanbeans
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I just want my son to look cute and wellkempt again. His hair has grown so evenly and such beautiful angel hair. Now it's almost covering his eyes.

ljeanbeans
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Ok, just one snip with the scissors for now. He can see, but it's a bit crooked. I saved that hair on a piece of tape...like that will last....sigh. Did I mention I live on an Island?

stacy2607
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way.. Logan turned 2 in Jan. I keep saying he needs his first haircut, but i cant seem to be able to do it.. i have just been trimming his bangs to keep them out of his eyes..which he needs done again..lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alaskadreams
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww I cried the first time I cut his hair.  More so because it meant he was getting older.  I had clippers that I used. I didnt use scissors- he moves way too much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)