Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He is LITERALLY pulling my hair out!! Help? :/

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok, so my little boy has just turned one! Since he was very small he has been a hair puller!! I discouraged this from the second it began, well, because it wasnt very comfortable having fistfulls(no matter how small) of hair being pulled out!!!

I Passed it off as a reflex when he was very small, and then as a phase as he got older, but now, he LUNGES for peoples hair, not just mine, and YANKS it!!! and giggles hysterically!!! i've tried saying no, and detatching his little fingers, repeating the word no and putting him down but it just makes him pull harder :/ it doesnt matter if its short hair, long hair, or tired up hair!! He even goes for his grandads, his uncles, and my partners chest hair at every given oppurtunity. As in pulling the neck of their shirts to find it and pull.

Has any body elses child taken a shine to hair pulling like this?? He finds it hilarious no matter what i say or do and he is only one, so im not really sure is their anything i can do?!?!?! any advice would be helpful!!! :/

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mlg1989
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Pull his hair back. Give it a small tug to let him see how it feels then tell him "see it hurts?! That's a no-no". I only had to tug on DS twice and he got the message and hasn't done it since(he's 3 now)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Briangel
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree w/pulling his back! My 9mo old dd does the same thing. I try flicking her hand, not hard, but enough to get her attention to let go. (she stops, but will do it again later). I'm not sure she understands what she's doing because he does it in her sleep too (if I'm holding her & she falls asleep).
freckles91
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I'll try pulling his back gently...! Hopefully it will work in the chest hair thing too because i know that the menfolk  dont appreciate that! :-P No matter how much they love the lil guy!!!

whitleypittman
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Pull his hair and see how he likes it! A friends DD pulled my DD's hair once, and she got up and pulled her DD's hair and said "See? Hurts, doesn't it? Don't do it again." The little twerp has yet to try that stunt again.
notabosley
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Yes, I did the same thing with DD when she was 8 months old. She's two years old now. I was careful not to hurt her, but it does work.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Be firm and say no. Redirect if you have to.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Tell him no. Pull your hair back. Put him down or walk away when he does it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Redirect never worked when my daughter pulled hair. She would go for the sensitive hair on the back of our necks. We started pulling her hair back. At first she wouldn't let go and pull harder. We'd pull a little harder. After about a week, she stopped. With whatever you do, you have to be consistent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN