Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

is it wise to teach your young child the correct term for body parts.....

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm new to cafe mom and the i have recently had a issue. i have one son(19 mon.) and my bf has a daughter(7) and son(4). I have been teaching my son that he has a "penis". And one day i was changing his diaper(we have also started trying potty training too) and my bf kids where in the same room and i was talking to my son as i do every time i change him. I said pee comes out of your "penis" and poop comes out of your "butt". well my bf kids then join in to my changing of the diaper. They are so fascinated with watching. So I said boys have "penis" and girls have "vagina". My bf son has been calling his a "worm" and his daughter a "pee pee" which I think is so stupid. I don't talk baby talk to my son and he is saying lots of words.... Well anyways a couple of days ago their mother called and asked my bf about where they learn those words. He told her that's what I teach my son "the correct term" and she said they are too young to say those words....Well my aunt has 3 kids (4,7, and 10) they where taught the right term..... well anyways is it OK cause i think its is BS not to be honest and teach your children the correct terms for body parts. they are not too young.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM
5 moms liked this
I never understood "cutesie" words for body parts either. We don't make up words for arm or leg, why make up words for other body parts? They are what they are, no need to add embarrassment to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dbscot88
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

thats how i feel too. 

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
This.

Quoting luvemboth:

I never understood "cutesie" words for body parts either. We don't make up words for arm or leg, why make up words for other body parts? They are what they are, no need to add embarrassment to it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I read some place that its important for children to know the correct terms in case they are ever being abused. 

My dd is 3 and says "Bagina".  lol  Still working on saying it with a V.

Firenygirl180
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell my 20 month old that he has a penis and he tries to say it, but he can't yet.
i am pregnant and we tell him that baby sister is in my belly, obviously we don't go into details about all that stuff but we are teaching him the difference between boys and girls in a toddler friendly way
-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Found it.  Op, might want to share this with your bf.  Here's the link...

http://www.rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-prevention/protecting-a-child-from-sexual-assault

How Can I Protect My Child From Sexual Assault?

Parents are surrounded by messages about child sexual abuse. Talk shows and TV news warn parents about dangers at school, in the home and on the Internet. Despite all the media coverage, parents don't get much advice about how to talk to their children about sexual abuse and how to prevent it.

Talk to your children about sexuality and sexual abuse in age-appropriate terms.

• Talking openly and directly about sexuality teaches children that it is okay to talk to you when they have questions.
  • Teach children the names of their body parts so that they have the language to ask questions and express concerns about those body parts.
  • Teach children that some parts of their body are private.
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

its a medical term technically, its the correct term.  my dd doesn't really call hers anything, she never asked me what it was, except she walked in on me taking a shower once and then went and told her friends that her mommy has hair where she pees.  that was awkward, not my kids so i didn't really wanna explain that to them (i did explain that she will someday too when her friends were no longer at our house)  I'm sure she knows what they are called because if we do need to mention it we do use the correct terms, she just never showed interest and asked so we never thought to tell her.

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always been told for them to leran the correct name.
belindah
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I taught my children the correct  words from day one. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I never called them anything, lol. They didn't either. I have girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)