Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 4 year old has bowel problems

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM
  • 3 Replies

About once every two weeks, my son has multiple, small, and sometimes runny stools.  We have just been living with it thinking that it was normal.  However, we've had another child and now know what normal bowel movements are like.

I have decided to try and figure out what is going on.  I think he might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  I'm going to take him to the doctor to find out, but wanted to get some opinions beforehand.

Go Vegan for your health, for the animals, and for the planet

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Start a food diary. See if there are food triggers that could cause this. There isnt much out there to help IBS other than managing a diet and avoiding triggers. Have you tried going on webmd for the specific symptoms in a child? This could just be his normal bowel schedule. Unfortunately no 2 people are a like for this as well as other aspects of life.
Beth3721
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I can understand your concern.

We have been dealing with bowel problems with my daughter since she was a couple weeks old.  It was constipation up until about 16 months.  Then it was just occasional.  Now she has unusually soft stools.  She has a well balanced healthy diet for the most part.  She doesn't seem distressed about it so we just take it as it is.

stayathome510
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My son started to have those type of stools right after he had milk products...we would give him 1/2 a tab of lactaid, I think it was called, but have to give with first bite of food, anyways, worked great.  However, when reading up on, said toddlers usually do not have this.  Anyways, we did this for a few months for sure, so I'm not sure if her outgrew the problem or if it was due to my starting to give him my own homemade yogurt.  I was so pleased with the results of the yogurt, as he still had to use the restroom, right after eating, but his stools were much much more formed and normal, not hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)