Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Advice for Me :)

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 33 Replies
How do you moms motivate yourself to clean your house? I am always tired or have a headache with little to no energy. My kids always make messes and or destroy belongings. I need an idea for a fridge lock, because my kids literally get in the fridge and spill milk or juice and they don't even ask to get into the fridge first. How can I better organize and how I start a routine for me to do a cleaning checklist, maybe wake up at a certain time in the morning, etc. What are cheap storage ideas? Since my husband works he says he doesn't have to help. I am a mother of 4 kids :)
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Well I only have one kid so my answer doesn't apply most likely. I clean during CJs naps or after he's down for the night. Somtimes when he's good I manage to get stuff done while he plays in his room. They sell fridge locks at baby stores in the child proof section. When we were buying stuff to baby proof our home they had nearly everything you could imagine! We didn't buy one but I'm pretty sure they sell somthing to child proof the fridge.

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

zoniechick
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I am one of those ppl that messes drive me insane! So cleaning just kind of comes naturally to me. Maybe you can just imagine that company is coming over. I know my house never looks better than when company is coming. LOL. How old are your kids? Mine are 8 and 4(almost 5) They clean up after themselves. If they make a mess, they clean it. Unless the spill is major then I help. Take stuff away from kids and have consequences for not following the rules. It seems like it is not really the cleaning that is the issue, but that the kids do not pitch in. When my kids would not clean their rooms after several times of telling them, all their toys were taken away, and we donated half. After 2 months they got their toys back. Seems harsh, but it worked.

I have bought those large totes from walmart or target for about 10 bucks a piece. they work well for a toy boxes and already come with  a lid. I use them also to store holiday items and seasonal items. My DH uses them for his computer crap too.

Also just b/c hubby works does not give him a free pass not to help with the children, that is bull shit.  He is just as much responsible for discipline as you are. Anyone with kids, especially four, does work too. Just b/c it is not outside the home does not mean it is not work

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I hire someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

If you have an issue with your kids getting in the fridge without your permission, set a rule where they have to ask first.

as far as giving you advice on getting motivation to clean. I really don't know what to say. I don't have that issue, I see a mess I clean it. Period. I'm a SAHM, so it's my "job" to keep the house tidy. As far as your husband saying he doesn't have to do anything, well.... I have a different outlook on that, and nothing that will make your husband look peachy. My husband has two jobs and goes to school, he still helps out when needed. I don't expect him to do too much, because he does do all that stuff, but he doesn't complain about the things I do ask him to do.

Briangel
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
My motivation is dh. For some reason I keep the house clean for him, even though he feels same way ur dh does. Must be love ;). I only have 2 kids, and when my 3 yr old is in preschool and 9 mo old is napping, I have 1 hr to squeeze in all that I can. If you set a timer, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done! Plus my kids go to bed early, so that gives me time too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Readyforbaby5
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not really an issue and thanks guys. I have conquered my daughters room. I think now on i'll clean when my kids ar ein school and my duaghter is in preschool for 3 hours and will be in K all day starting this fall. I'll have 3 kids in school and my 2 year old at home. I have posted ruls, chores for everyone including hubby on his days off, and even planned meals for next week. Thanks!

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Do it as you go.  Don't leave a room without taking stuff that doesn't belong there, etc.  Get the kids involved. 

Katenemsmom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Plenty of light. If I do not get outside I feel drained. Sitting in a dark room or in front of a computer drains my energy. An hour at the park helps me and my kids. It's a natural serotonin boost.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
belindah
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Im a sahm of three kids and expecting, i know what it is like not to be motivated to clean, however what motivates me are two different things.  1) my family's health. Germs hide everywhere and I dont want anyone getting sick.  I would rather mop the bathroom floor then clean up vomit lol.  2) Company just shows up sometimes, and I dont want the house to look like a tip when they show up.

marisab
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

i nee dthe fridgr lock and stove lock idea.. motivation i joined a cleaning group on here and i clean roonm to room and take btreaks and have coffee/soda in between play on cafemom then do next room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)