Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Learning a second language

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM
  • 25 Replies

I would like to do my best to raise my daughter to be bilingual (English and Spanish). My boys are older and know a little bit but not very much, they're still working on it. It just seems like it would be easier to get it going from a young age.

The only problem is, I don't speak Spanish, lol. We live in an area where it's pretty much a requirement and not knowing it has held me back more then once. I don't want my kids to have that problem, and I want them to be able to make friends with everyone a little easier.

My hubby isn't against it exactly, but he's not really on board either. He has one of the "My country my language" opinions, which is fine and all but not really realistic. (He's not racist, lets not take it there) So he won't be very much help, I won't really have anyone to work with me on it. I'll be learning on my own.

So, do any of you know a second language? Any tips? What's the best method to learn?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM

My kids (5 and 2) are learning Spanish.  I took 4 years of it in high school but don't remember enough to teach them.  We are using tapes I checked out at school called Storybridges.  They tell stories with certain phrases in Spanish instead of English.  The kids love them and have learned quite a bit from them.  We are also using another Spanish curriculum I checked out at school.  Let me see if I can find it...

Hmm.. I'm not sure right now but it follows basically the same format.  The kids listen to a story that is mostly in English but has some phrases in Spanish then they review (following the CD) the phrases/words they learned. 

They love both of those.  I love that the storybridges can just be put on while they play and they pick up on it.  They put it on a lot themselves.  The other one is a more in depth program though.  It has 8 cds and books and such that go with it then there's another level after this.

Let me know if you want the name and I will find it in the morning :)

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait I just found it it's Power Glide Junior

TableforSeven
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

One tip....don't waste your money on Rosetta Stone.  It is expensive and most people I know who have used it learned nothing (myself included).

Zazayam
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Yeah my grandmother tried that a few years ago for Italian and learned not a thing.
Quoting TableforSeven:

One tip....don't waste your money on Rosetta Stone.  It is expensive and most people I know who have used it learned nothing (myself included).

Zazayam
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Thank you, I'll look into that! :)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids (5 and 2) are learning Spanish.  I took 4 years of it in high school but don't remember enough to teach them.  We are using tapes I checked out at school called Storybridges.  They tell stories with certain phrases in Spanish instead of English.  The kids love them and have learned quite a bit from them.  We are also using another Spanish curriculum I checked out at school.  Let me see if I can find it...

Hmm.. I'm not sure right now but it follows basically the same format.  The kids listen to a story that is mostly in English but has some phrases in Spanish then they review (following the CD) the phrases/words they learned. 

They love both of those.  I love that the storybridges can just be put on while they play and they pick up on it.  They put it on a lot themselves.  The other one is a more in depth program though.  It has 8 cds and books and such that go with it then there's another level after this.

Let me know if you want the name and I will find it in the morning :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:08 AM

My SO actually learned quite a bit of spanish from Dora and diego LOL.  Muzzy is supposed to be a good .program.  I am not as fluent as i used to be due to unuse of spanish in my daily life.   DD for awhile was watching all her dvds in spanish if they had that option.   Immerse yourself in the language any way you can.  Try to make friends with a person in your area that speaks the local dialect rather than formal spanish.  They would know all the slang words as well.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My niece knows a surprising amount from Dora, lol. She catches me off guard throwing random Spanish words out there.

I do have a very sweet older Mexican lady next door that I sort of talk to, but she's about as good with English as I am with Spanish. Maybe we could help each other though, I'll get one of the kids to mention it to her. Good idea, not sure why she didn't pop to mind right away!

Quoting frndlyfn:

My SO actually learned quite a bit of spanish from Dora and diego LOL.  Muzzy is supposed to be a good .program.  I am not as fluent as i used to be due to unuse of spanish in my daily life.   DD for awhile was watching all her dvds in spanish if they had that option.   Immerse yourself in the language any way you can.  Try to make friends with a person in your area that speaks the local dialect rather than formal spanish.  They would know all the slang words as well.

DACIA79
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Start with kids flashcards the basics up to high frequency words. I'm not bilingual but Im currently sending my son through a full Spanish immersion program maybe you can find one in your area.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

That would be a cool way to learn and help another person learn a bit more english. There are tons of free resources out there for everyone to enjoy.  When my guy is bored, he will turn on the international channel for tv and try to figure out what they are saying.

Quoting Zazayam:

My niece knows a surprising amount from Dora, lol. She catches me off guard throwing random Spanish words out there.

I do have a very sweet older Mexican lady next door that I sort of talk to, but she's about as good with English as I am with Spanish. Maybe we could help each other though, I'll get one of the kids to mention it to her. Good idea, not sure why she didn't pop to mind right away!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My 8yro and I are learning asl
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)