Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! I'm about to lose it!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 28 Replies
So my son is now almost 4 months old & he is waking up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the middle of the night to eat.

See, this is normal for most babies, but my son has just about slept through the night since birth. I am trying to be patient, but I'm wearing thin. Any suggestions on what I can try that might make a difference?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dominic062407
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM
5 moms liked this
Feed him and just think in ten years he will want nothing to do with you!!!:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedMom2
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

:) My son is 3.5 years old and he still wakes up at night to ask for a bottle. Yours is only 4 months old - it will take a long time for him to settle down and sleep completely though the night. You just cant do much about it. If youre a SAHM then get your sleep when he sleeps during the day. Good luck.

Txlisa7969
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
4 moms liked this

It's very well possible he is about to hit a growth spurt.  They tend to eat more and more often right before they do.  It can be exhausting when they seem to back track on you.  Hang in there!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

This too shall pass. At 4 months you really can't change his ways. Sleep when he does and remember this will soon be over.

Alwaysmotivated
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

You were lucky that he slept all the way from birth.. Hang in there it will get better, sometimes its like that and not to much you can do.. As long as he is not in pain and nothing bothering him, then sometimes pretty normal, unfortunately for us..

zoeysannsmom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Sounds like a groth spirt hang in there 

jhslove
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

There are a couple of possibilities:

1) It could be a growth spurt. Is he eating more often during the day, too? How long has this been going on?

2) It might be the 4-month sleep regression. My daughter's sleep totally fell apart for about 3 weeks when she was about 3.5 months old. The good news is that as soon as it passed, she started sleeping better than she was before.

Does he have a consistent bedtime routine? If so, can you post what it is?

LawMom8308
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Try upping his ounces...He could be going through a growth spurt and is just really hungry. Maybe you could even add rice cereal to bedtime bottle so it's heavier and last longer on his tummy.
brittany208
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

what do you do when you get up with him in the middle of the night? do you rush right in? do you always feed him? try waiting 5 minutes before you go in to see if he can settle himself down and go back to sleep. all people wake up in between sleep cycles, babies have to learn to put themselves back to sleep when they wake up.

i really doubt he needs to eat every hour and a half--no matter what everyone else is saying. that's a lot. I would start gradually feeding him less at every other feeding. I did this with my son when he was 6mo. If he usually nursed 10 min, the next night I'd just nurse 9 min, then 8, then 7... He will drink more at the other feedings to make up for it. You can gradually cut out a couple times this way, then gradually cut out a couple more. til he is getting his calories during the day and doesnt need to eat at night.

megandwade
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Is he on formula? Increase the amount of formula you are giving him!

He needs more food  to keep his tummy fuller longer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN