Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Grandparents taking one kid at a time on vacation?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are your ladies thoughts on this? My mom is not a typical grandma, she won't hold my babies or babysit them, basically won't even acknowledge then until they are out if diapers and can talk and if they drool or anything babie do she makes a disgusted face and says ew. She lives in Seattle and I'm in Kansas... So we see them once or twice a year. Well I've got four kids a five year old a four year old a two year old and a 9 month old (who she's only seen once at 4 months old). She's now talking about taking the two older kids on a vacation one at a time so thy get more one on one time. I am wondering what others opinions on this are... Good or bad idea and why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
6 moms liked this

I think it's great.  Your mom clearly knows her boundaries and I will tell you she is not that unique.  MANY grandparents do not care for the baby/toddler stage.  They raised their kids and really don't want to deal with all that hassle.  She clearly cares about your kids if she wants to take them on vacation with her.  It will be a nice memory for each of them.

dominic062407
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for your reply! I ask mainly because last time we saw her she got "tired" and ended up telling my five year old hrs weird for not making eye contact.

Quoting mjande4:

I think it's great.  Your mom clearly knows her boundaries and I will tell you she is not that unique.  MANY grandparents do not care for the baby/toddler stage.  They raised their kids and really don't want to deal with all that hassle.  She clearly cares about your kids if she wants to take them on vacation with her.  It will be a nice memory for each of them.

dominic062407
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
So I guess the trust is not all the way there
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as she takes both of them it doesn't matter. I think it's great that she knows her limits and is telling you what they are.
trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It's good she knows her limits but being in a similar situation I think it's bs. Having had kids she should know to be more helpful.... Just my opinion. As long as the kids are comfortable going with her alone then I think it's ok.. Might as well take your mom up on it .... At least you will get a well deserved break.
dominic062407
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's be myself. But she was never really there for me when I was younger either so I guess it's to be expected
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Awesome. We lived out of state. Our parents would visit us and we would go on vacation and leave the girls with them. My grandparents took one grandkid on vacation some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I don't see what's wrong with her doing that. She would rather do separate vacations for them, and I think that's fine. That's how my SIL's mom does it with my SIL's kids. Each year she goes to the Bahamas and takes a different grandchild each year and seems to work out.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I think it is good she knows her limits. You wouldn't want her taking two or three and then being overwhelmed and taking it out on the kids. 

dominic062407
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
There would be absolutely nothing wrong with it if she didnt. Just co platelet lose her patience and start name calling. I would get for my kids to be afraid to be alone with her because she might flip out like I was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)