Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Putting a crib under a loft bed...(edit x2)

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 39 Replies
So this is obviously more of a logistical advise question than anything...

DH and I have a small house. I'm currently pregnant and DS is 4 1/2 (turns 5 a month after the baby is born.) Our rooms are not very big so for a bed plus a crib would lose a LOT of storage and play space. (DS is really big for his age, of the charts height & weight...on his 4th birthday he was on the 50th percentile line for a 6 year old.)
We were thinking of getting DS a loft and putting the crib underneith. The crib/toddler bed (convertable) is definitely getting too small for him so he needs to upgrade to a regular twin anyway. I'm not worried about the height part. I'm going to be very careful about rail height on the loft, he's never been a fall out of bed kid (even without a toddler bed rail), and he's been climbing like a monkey at the playground since he was 2 (so the ladder isn't really an issue.) I'm confident DS will be fine (and love) a lofted bed. He's enjoyed friend & family lofts that he's been around.

We were playing with room arrangements to get us better space with either the crib fully under the loft or at a 90deg angle so part of it is under, part not.

Has anyone tried this? What kind of issues/successes did you have? Any recommendations on brands? I have to measure our current bed to see if it is low profile enough to reuse under the loft. Any brands recommended? (We have standard 8' ceilings so we're limited on some styles). (DH and I are relatively handy so making/building/modifying safely is something we can do.)

Edit: Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have some new ideas to think about. (I'm more than happy to take more!) Just some blanket statements. My 4 y/o (will be 5 by the time we need this set up), is big and strangely agile, so I'm not worried about any increased risk of him falling out of the top bunk because of his age. I don't see any greater risk than a kid a few years older. He doesn't sleep with a lot (though anything could fall) and he isn't allowed to play on his bed now, so horsing around on the loft will not be allowed. (He is actually a really good kid, we're lucky, and follows instructions quite well.) Honestly, my concern isn't falling, it's if he tries to see if he can "fly". (Yes, I have one of those, but he is good at understanding appropriate behavior in appropriate situations).
Lastly, the loft will NOT come down unless the house comes down around it. Both my husband and I are engineers (I have a structural background) so I understand a lot about what we can and can't do and how to make it safer than even out if the box. (I also have a hazard analysis background.) I'm very good with a hammer/drill/screwdriver/saw etc, so any modifications would increase the safety of anything we buy.

Edit x2: thanks again for all the ideas. We found a "loft" (not full height) bed from IKEA I think we're going to use. We'll put storage for toys and books under and curtains and my DS can have a little play area all his own. It's not as big as a captains bed (which is good) and we could put more storage units under it if need be. We have to do some measuring to figure out if our current bed/crib will still fit in the room, otherwise we'll look into mini cribs. Thanks so much for the advise everyone.
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I wouldn't do it...

Despite the convenience (two beds for the space of one), the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission say that children under six years old should never be allowed to sleep on the upper bunk, with other experts extending that to eight or nine years old. The biggest risks to kids? Cuts, bruises, scrapes, and fractures from falling out of (or jumping from) the top bunk.

frzmamaof4
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I wouldn't do it either!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn820
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Though I appreciate the info, (and actually the whattoexpect.com article you quoted went on to give info as to how to make it safer), I've looked at a LOT of statistics about bunk bed accidents. Main reasons: the bed was not properly installed (doesn't have rails all the way around an kids were entrapped, or turned and didn't have a rail on the outside where it's needed), mattresses were to tall so the rails didn't do what they needed to, or because proper safety rules weren't followed. (Small children are often injured by getting partially stuck in the rails because they are physically too small.) (And the statistics for bunk bed injuries include accidents on lower bunks where kids have hurt themselves bouncing around and falling off)
I've looked at the statistics, I am picky about what type we get so that he is safe. I know my son and despite him being a year younger than the recommended age, I am confident that he will be at no greater risk now than he will be in a year or two for accidents. He's played with older toys than "recommended" for years because of his smarts and maturity. He follows rules well and he's not allowed to play around on his bed now, so that wouldn't change. I am well aware of all the cautions and rules. Kids can fall out of a bunk at any age.

I'm merely asking if anyone has put a crib under a loft and any issues or successes they had.
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't but if you do I would put it all the way under towards the middle.
If your son does fall, you don't want him landing on top of the baby.

If your worried about space they make mini-cribs or a pack in play would smaller then a standard crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna273109
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No I would not do it. See if you can angle them in the room some how. I have twin girls  and did it with there cribs. It took many different trys but it came together. Always remember you can do alot with under the bed storage. You can also google small kids bedrooms to get soom ideas.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do it, but my kids are two years apart. My only suggestion is to put the crib sideways under the loft bed out of convenience. You could always move the crib out from underneath it at night.
Aamy
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
No way would I do that. Kids jump on beds ans yeah not good to have a baby below.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I don't have a problem with the 4 year old on the top bunk. My 3 year old often sleeps in the top bunk with my 7 year old with no problems and he (the 3 year old) will be moving to the top bunk permenantly when we move and my 7 year old has his own room.

However, I wouldn't put a crib under there unless it could fit 100% of the way. It just seems to tempting to get jumped in or to have things throw in it from the top bunk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jenn820
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Quoting JMmama:

I don't have a problem with the 4 year old on the top bunk. My 3 year old often sleeps in the top bunk with my 7 year old with no problems and he (the 3 year old) will be moving to the top bunk permenantly when we move and my 7 year old has his own room.

However, I wouldn't put a crib under there unless it could fit 100% of the way. It just seems to tempting to get jumped in or to have things throw in it from the top bunk.

I didn't think about the toys part! Thank you! My son doesn't "play" on his bed now...but I could see his "giraffe-ey" or egg (his stuffed t-Rex) making their way down to the crib (accidentally or on purpose). We were originally planning on all the way under anyway, I just didn't know if anyone has done it and found they didn't have the space to pull the younger one out. (I've done the math with the approximate amount of space) and I think it will work, but it's been a while since I was pulling an infant out of a crib so I don't remember the exact amount of space needed.
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I have my 4 year old on the top bunk... so, I wouldn't be worried about that.  But I would NOT be comfortable having a crib under a loft.   Just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Can baby room with you?   We have 2 bedrooms and have our boys in bunk beds in the second room and baby in a pack n play in our room.   I figure she'll be in there for at least another year (she's almost 9mo).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)