Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Tips on nap time for infants?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter is 6 months and no matter how tired she is she wont take a nap. Ive tried laying her in her crib, bottles, feedings, and 99% of the time she just gets crankier and still wont take a nap?

Did any one else have this problem? or any advice???

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Pollito
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

i had that problem with my daughter she hardly ever took naps and i had to take her for a ride in the car or in the stroller until she was out

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My daughter was like that too. I started a nap routine where I would play soft music and dim the lights in her room. It took some time but it got to the point where she knew that music was nap time music!

LindaClement
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Moms need naps, too: it's simplest if you lay down with her.

It's normal for kids to be terrified of being alone: their instincts tell them that without you close by, they're in genuine danger, and you can't talk their instincts out of it because you know about windows and locks.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was the same way. I had to put him in his carseat carrier and walk around the house with him until he fell asleep. It was crazy but he just didnt want to go down for naps.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

marisab
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

she may need less naps for longer periods how many r u giving her?

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Have you tried music or even reading to her?  Make sure you do naps at the same time every day in a quiet erea with her music or books ready to be read.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

When my DD was a baby, I would take her for a walk and she would fall asleep. If it was raining, I would take her on a walk throughout the house! lol

kali_mom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I had to use White Noise for babies to help calm and soothe my daughter. Took 15-20 minutes but once she was asleep I could count on anywhere from 1-2 hours. It was a Godsend for us. Hang in there I know you need your rest as well as the baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Most infants take two naps a day, plus sleep most of the night.  She needs 14 - 15 hours of sleep a day.  If she is not getting this much, it can affect her physical and mental health.  In fact, there is a strong relationship between sleep deprivation and ADHD.  

Figure out how much sleep she is getting right now.  How much more does she need?  Then work out a schedule that fits in your routine.  It has to be the same every single day to work.  You can't expect her to wake up at 6 am during the work week, and then sleep in until 10 on weekends.  

Having a daily routine is the secret to getting kids to nap.  Also, as she grows, increasing the amount of fresh air and sunshine will help her sleep, too.

Kids who are OVERTIRED are usually much harder to get to sleep.  Being overtired, they get almost hyper acting, all wound up.  It is important to get children to nap regularly, so they do not get overtired.

Can you just start laying her in her crib at nap times and leaving?  Does she cry uncontrolably?  Or after a few days, will she start to setting down and recognize that it is time for nap?  

Sleeping with her is a great option, because many young mothers are sleep deprived, which can cause depression and illness.  If you nap with her, she'll be more likely to fall asleep, and you'll catch up on some much needed rest, as well.  I did this with my granddaughter for the four years I babysat her until she went into a preschool.  

If you still have trouble GETTING her to sleep, there are many books and articls available about sleep training. 

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

jhslove
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Naps can take a while to develop. My daughter's didn't really consolidate and develop any predictability until she was right around 6 months.

If she's over-tired, and fighting sleep, try putting her to bed extra early at night and letting her sleep wherever she sleeps best to pay back the sleep debt. If she's overtired, it's going to make napping harder. Does she sleep well in a swing, for example?

How does she sleep at night? And does she have a bedtime routine that you follow every time you put her down?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN