Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Baby number three-shower or no shower? Small Edit!

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, Im fed up trying to plan this and I need help. Im having my third baby, my first girl. My boys will be five and two when this baby arrives this summer. I need literally nothing but a bath tub, diapers, and girls' clothes because I have everything else. With my first, we did the requisite full shower. My second we did a 'sprinkle' because I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and the only thing I registered for were little toys-for some reason my first born didnt have many of those-and some wash cloths, maybe clothes, I dont even remember now but not a single big thing because I kept everything from the first and it was all neutral. Now to number three, same goes-all neutral, kept it all, blah blah. My mother was orignally planning a diaper shower where everyone is invited and just asked to bring a package of diapers. I was okay with this, my sisterinlaw did this with her third in as many years. Now we know it's a girl and shes thinking bigger than just a diaper shower.
I need opinions on this-specifically is it 'acceptable' to have a bigger shower because this is the first girl, shold I make a registry if I do have one, or is it tacky to have a bigger shower at all-because Im tired of searching for 'themes'-not one Ive seen appeals to me-and if I agree and leave it up to her, I'll end up with this stupid girly shower full of lace and ribbons and pink-all of which are so NOT me. HELP!

To clarify-Im not planning my own shower, bad phrasing above on my part! (if there is one) I was trying to decide on a theme-or lack thereof. Once Ive done that part, my mother and my friend are taking over. I agree it's tacky to host your own shower. Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No shower for 2nd or 3rd.  I send gifts or bring a gift after the baby is born, but a shower is to start you out, at least to me it is, not for other babies. 

marisab
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

why not just get tohgether with friends and on invite say in lieu of gifts donate to child abuse or homelessness or some other cause

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

It's fine to have a shower for your third, but you should have nothing to do with the planning. Someone decides to give you a shower, that's nice, but ten they plan it. But if you're doing it, it is considered tacky. You could tell her that you don't want it to be frilly, but it's her decision, and it's about the baby. You're the guest of honor-so it reflects on the hostess not on you.  You should register, so people know what you want. You can just refister for a few things, and tell your sil the few things you need, and she can pass that information along.

kali_mom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I am with the idea of doing a 'diaper' celebration and that's it. Personally I think ALL babies should be recognized however, by your 3rd it should be family and if they choose to do more than diapers that's fine. Either way have fun and enjoy that new baby girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Why not have a shower? Every child deserves to be celebrated :)

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Whole heartedly agree with this post!

@ CatFishMom >>>  Go for it. Who cares that society says you can not celebrate more than one or two children.  It's your life. Celebrate it any way you choose. 

Quoting MsRkg:

If you want a third shower, then you should have a third shower. Screw whatever society thinks is acceptable. You should celebrate each new life, however if you want. If you want to make a registry go for it. Family and friends who truly love you and your children, won't judge you.  Make whatever theme you want. When I had my first son, I didn't really want a baby shower at all , but I kind of got guilted into it, so I only agreed to it, if it was less baby game and themed and more adultish. To that extent, no color theme, no cute baby cake, no blue, no shower games, instead we had a bbq, beer and wine (for the non-pregnant people), and just watched a soccer game, and we stuffed some baby presents in there. I was fine with that.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Perhaps, you could do a sprinkle? A meet the baby party?

kris0921
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I wouldnt do a theme, just register, and celebrate your baby girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Honestly, I think it's tacky to throw your own baby shower. I also don't think there should be showers after the first baby unless the spacing between the new baby and the last baby is a large number of years. 

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I kind of wonder about the whole registry thing... my daughter registered, and not one single relative looked at it.  I wonder if they're kind of going "out" of fashion.  As far as a shower for a third baby, not really common.  People go all out for a first baby, but sort of expect that you'll have pretty much everything you need for a second - even if it is a different sex.  The first baby just costs so much!  You need everything - crib, high chair, rocker, changing table, stroller, etc - and all of that is "recycled" regardless of baby's sex.  

If you want a party to celebrate the little girl, go for it.  You might even suggest that girly outfits be purchased in a variety of sizes, since they outgrow those little newborn things so fast.  It's probably best then to have the shower after the baby is born, so the guests and see and enjoy her.  

If you don't want to plan it yourself, then steel yourself for the girly party your SIL will plan.  Otherwise, plan it yourself - but you're probably tired or hormonal and have other things to deal with right now.  

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN