Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pypar or Piper name spelling

My step daughter who lives with my husband and I is named Pypar. she made me a card the other day with it spelled piper and had a great explanation of why Pypar isn't the correct spelling. My husband is fine with her spelling it however she likes but mom isn't . I think piper would be better long term as a more professional spelling. She says her names is always pronounced wrong and misspelled and she is tired of correcting people because Pypar isn't the correct letter sounds. What do you all think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think "creative spellings" makes one look ignorant. I'm pleased she knows that and is trying to make her name make more sense. Too bad her mom prefers ignorant looking spelling instead. Happily, eventually the child can legally change it herself. She just has to be old enough.

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Well my niece, who is 25 now, is named Dena (pronounced Dana).  Our family cringed when my sister decided to name her that with that spelling.  She always went through correcting everyone and it was very annoying for her.  Not a fan of bizarre name spellings.  We named our DD Samantha, nobody questions how to pronounce it, and that is perfect with me.

I do find it kinda ironic that my sister did that since our maiden name is very hard to pronounce as the spelling does not match.  So why would she want to put her daughter though the same thing, I hated my maiden name because nobody could pronounce it.

grmaof6
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

i like piper better... but then i have gave my children odd names unique spellings...  kandace, desaraye, alexandrea juleeAnne, and Aubrey....their children also have unique names :

Alyvia GraceLynn, Mathiel , Natalie, Jayden, Annylise Maribel,

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I agree, Pypar seems to be pronounce pie-par, instead of the pie per that she seems to want.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I inwardly roll my eyes when someone corrects an incorrect pronunciation of their name with exasperation. My thought is what do they expect- people aren't mind readers and pronounce it the way it looks.

H79fordgirl
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I don't like Pypar either. I named my dd Skyler and spelled it that way bc the -ar spelling makes me want to say Sky- LAR. Same reason I don't like Erin. E-rin? Er-rin? I like Aaron better but even that is really A-Aron.
slransde
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Piper is way better than Pypar.

Pypar is...annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

That's a ridiculous way to spell that name. Almost as bad as my friend who spells her sons name Konor instead of Conner. I don't get why everyone wants their child to have a hard time in life. My name is Kelley and it's aggravating enough that everyone spells it Kelly. I can't imagine having it spelled in a way that no one would even be able to pronounce it.  

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I prefer the Piper spelling.

birdiemom
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I prefer Piper as well
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured