Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pypar or Piper name spelling

My step daughter who lives with my husband and I is named Pypar. she made me a card the other day with it spelled piper and had a great explanation of why Pypar isn't the correct spelling. My husband is fine with her spelling it however she likes but mom isn't . I think piper would be better long term as a more professional spelling. She says her names is always pronounced wrong and misspelled and she is tired of correcting people because Pypar isn't the correct letter sounds. What do you all think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
mama.samm.2.3
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I like Piper WAY better than Pypar. (I do love the name.) Your SD is very smart and mature for being able to recognize that. I don't think ALL unique spellings are outrageous though. But there are deffinantly some that are like why?! Lol Like my name is Sammantha. I've never seen it spelled with two M's. Other than in my own name. My mom thought she was being clever by adding an extra one lol. Or like my daughter is Sofia. Which is unique compared to the normal "Sophia" but still easily pronouced. If it were me I would tell her to write it how ever she feels comfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I think she's right.  Generally speaking, I really hate when parents come up with odd spellings of NOT odd names.  This would be one of those times.  Pypar isn't even a known/accepted variation of the name Piper.

MarylandMom123
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Definitely PIPER!

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I think Pypar is stupid.  Spoken phonetically it is Pie-par.  If her name is pronounced Pie-per, then you should go with Piper.  See this is why you shouldn't deliberately misspell your kids name just to be clever.  They have to live with it their whole life and have to constantly tell people how to spell it or pronounce it.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I do like unique spellings (with reason now, LOL), but I'm not too particularly fond of that. I do think she should be given the option of changing it at some point if she wants, but I would wait until she is older.

ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I didn't knw Pypar was Pipe until I saw the coventional spelling.  Poor girl.  Let her spell it how she wants.  Use tha spelling yourelf and she make the legal change when shs 18.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM
This is one of many reasons all the crazy dumb spellings for names now is stupid. Poor kids. Parents just don't think anymore how this child has to say and spell their name all the time. I have had to pronounce and say my maiden name and married last name. That is enough. Why all these dumb first name spellings??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbeeck
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Totally agree. But it's on her birth certificate so it's not like legally you can change it without forking over some cash to legally change it. On all legal documents your going to have to put her legal name and that could get confusing and could mess things up. So unless you guys are legally chaging her name I wouldn't let her do that.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Piper

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I spell my name Susie all kinds of ways, Susie, Susi, and Suzy. It is a nickname of Susan so really I can spell it as I please. At least the spellings are normal and not some funky ass spelling.

Quoting kbeeck:

Totally agree. But it's on her birth certificate so it's not like legally you can change it without forking over some cash to legally change it. On all legal documents your going to have to put her legal name and that could get confusing and could mess things up. So unless you guys are legally chaging her name I wouldn't let her do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)