Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pypar or Piper name spelling

My step daughter who lives with my husband and I is named Pypar. she made me a card the other day with it spelled piper and had a great explanation of why Pypar isn't the correct spelling. My husband is fine with her spelling it however she likes but mom isn't . I think piper would be better long term as a more professional spelling. She says her names is always pronounced wrong and misspelled and she is tired of correcting people because Pypar isn't the correct letter sounds. What do you all think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mom-3girls-1boy
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
My husband wants to pay the money to change it legally but really wanted biological mom to agree to lesson the cost but she is refusing. I think after she spells it that way for at least a year and continues to feel the same way we should see about getting it changed.

Quoting atlmom2:

I spell my name Susie all kinds of ways, Susie, Susi, and Suzy. It is a nickname of Susan so really I can spell it as I please. At least the spellings are normal and not some funky ass spelling.

Quoting kbeeck:

Totally agree. But it's on her birth certificate so it's not like legally you can change it without forking over some cash to legally change it. On all legal documents your going to have to put her legal name and that could get confusing and could mess things up. So unless you guys are legally chaging her name I wouldn't let her do that.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
My Mom spelled her name Jacklin till she went to work and found out her name was Jacklyn on her birth certificate. She liked Jacklyn better. Never got an answer why she had a wrong spelling from her parents. She went by Jackie anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
While I do like piper better.

I'm going to be the odd on out but the case and point is that's not her name, Her name is pypar. Untill she is eather 18 and changes it or someone legally changes it, she needs to spell it correctly. Her school records could get confusing and she needs to learn to use and sign her legal name.

Even though I did use the common spellings for my children, I would also be mad if say Ashley decided to start going by Ashlee or Brandon going by Brandan, Ect. The parents have a right to name their children how they seem fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I don't understand why people change "i's" to "y's" in names!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Like a nickname she has the right on non legal documents how she wants to. Many go by nicknames at school or in every day life. I had a boss Patricia. She went by Trish her whole life and in her late 20's legally changed it. Many kids go by middle names too.

Quoting snowangel1979:

While I do like piper better.

I'm going to be the odd on out but the case and point is that's not her name, Her name is pypar. Untill she is eather 18 and changes it or someone legally changes it, she needs to spell it correctly. Her school records could get confusing and she needs to learn to use and sign her legal name.

Even though I did use the common spellings for my children, I would also be mad if say Ashley decided to start going by Ashlee or Brandon going by Brandan, Ect. The parents have a right to name their children how they seem fit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MEENASTRID
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
They should of spelled it Paper.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I like Piper better. I do sometimes like non traditional spellings, but for her name I like it best as Piper.

Nanamom127
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I agree with her. Piper is a pretty name and unique enough as it is. Pypar makes me think it should be pronounced pie parr. 

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I read Pypar as "Pie-par" not piper, so I can understand how it could be mispronounced. I agree with the girl.

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Let her spell it how she wants to.  As everyone has pointed out, she can change it when she's older, or if you can convince her mom, maybe sooner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN