Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

*UPDATE* Dehydrated hubby.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
Update: Hubby is in the hospital. They don't know what is wrong with him but he is having severe stomach pain. Vomiting and fever is gone but diarrhea remains. He had trouble peeing for a few hours. Still waiting for the doctor and we've been here since last night.

Any tips/tricks to help him get better? I've been giving him Gatorade and bought Pedialyte freezer pops but am waiting for them to ice over. His temp is going up and he has vomited.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Sounds like you are doing the right things. The only thing better would be an IV.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

has he taken any fever reducer for the fever?  I personally would not force any liquids on an adult when they are sick and would just do regular popsicles.

itsallabtthem84
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Make sure he gets plenty of clear liquids and takes something for his fever. Also let him rest as much as possible until his fever breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM
How long has it been since he has kept down something? Adults can go 24 hours. After vomiting do not drink anything for at least 2 or 3 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I had to have an IV when I was in this condition a few years ago- it made a world of difference-  I felt better almost immediately. I went to one of those urgent care places and they administered it.

Something I like to use is crushed ice - fill a glass with it and pour ginger ale over it (regular, not diet) and let him sip it slowly through a straw- the combination of ginger and icy drink help calm the vomiting.

mrshmnd
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I was trying to help my micro dude to feel better is give him a wash cloth that's damp not freezing cold but cool.. it seemed to make him feel better

belindah
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Clear fluids and rest

edieda
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

He needs to just rest quietly and not have any solids or liquids until the vomiting stops , if he hasn't vomited for two or three hours, gradually start in with the clear liquids, nothing too heavy, or greasy, popsicles, jello, apple juice, liquids like that and then try a clear soup or broth.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

You need to go buy some Propel flavored water bottle drinks. They are great for dehydration issues. And the best part is they taste great. I don't know where you live but, where I live they cost either $1 or 2 for $1.  We buy by the case.  Every time I get dehydrated I drink this. Of course I drink this whenever I can anyways. You can always do flavored kool-aid single packs to flavor your glass of water if you do not like the taste of water.  

kali_mom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Maybe some clear broth once he's feeling a little better and is able to keep clear fluids down. Sounds like he is in great hands! Hang in there
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN