Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has your child come out of a Mental facility, and is now worse!?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 3 Replies

As some of u may know, (if you've read my posts about my daughters), my oldest (almost 10 going on 15) Madison, has been out of a Sub-Acute program (Mental health facility) for a month, and now she is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse than before! She used to "baby talk" and whine all the time, but now she is outrigt defiant! She never used to tell me/ authority "No", but now she does it daily.

She missed 5 weeks of school because of sub-acute and now that she's back she is about to get kicked out! (school she always loved,always helped, got great above average grades, ect...) She throws temper tantrums right in the classroom and her friends that used to like her, don't anymore.. They dont even want to be near her...

Im terrified she will not make it through this.

She is angry with me for her even having to go to sub-acute, and she is taking it out on the world! I do not choose to medicate her, trying to approach this naturally.. Im desperate to hear your similar story, and or some words of encouragment and support..

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I hope things get better soon. I'm so sorry you are both going through this. *HUGS* I've never had a child in a mental facility. I assume therapy is on going? About meds, what do you and your girl really have to lose at this point?

My girl has ADHD, PTSD, depression and anxiety. I only knew about the ADHD and depression until recently but I didn't believe it or want to medicate her. At college age, she was finally ready to try medication and so was I. It's helped her so much at times. Other times it's caused other issues but I really wish I'd tried some meds sooner so she could feel more and struggle less.

Recently she went through a really tough time and kind of stayed zoned out for months. With time she is slowly getting back to the person we knew but it's been a year now and she still is not all the way back. Time can help a trauma a lot but it's so tough to wait and keep calm.

MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Bad thing about those places is that kids learn behaviors from the other kids. I'd never stick my kid in a place like that. Ever.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

What did they diagnose her with and what medicines is she on? If she is diagnosed incorrectly, then wrong medications can make her much worse. For example if she's bi-polar but they diagnosed her with depression and have her on an antidepressant, it's just going to make things way worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)