Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

No 'Poo

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

I really would like to go shampoo free and I would like to hear what you ladies think of it if you are a no-pooer. The reason I want to is because I am a new mom I have to work full time and go to school full time starting in August. My hair needs washed every, but I also need to style so that I look presentable. I don't have time to do this every morning/night. It's always too oily to fix and have it look decent. I want to do the no-poo so I can style it in about 10 minutes or so in the morning before I go out the door. Did you try this? How long? Did it work for you? Would it work for me since my hair is SO oily?? Thanks!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I am not brave enough. But I have heard great things about it! I love our shampoo.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I don't use shampoo on a regular basis. Your hair doesn't need a detergent based shampoo often if at all. However, I do have to rinse and clean it. I think you are looking for not having the wet hair problem that you have to dry and deal with? That's not going to be a real option with oily hair that is truly just plain oily.***** A low maintenance hair do would be much better. If you switch to many of the salon brands that are not detergent based and only WASH on a limited basis you will find your hair is much more healthy and manageable. Using a GOOD conditioner for oily hair to rinse and clean the crud off hair on a regular basis and only washing maybe once a week is sooooo much better.  

Notice those stars? Yeah. Oily hair MAY be from using detergent based shampoos. Your body could be going into overdrive producing the oils that the shampoo is stripping from your hair. In which case after your body re-adjusts it will lessen. 

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I went for three years straight without using any shampoo.  Then I got out of the habit, and I'm just now getting back into it. 

It takes about  two months to get your hair to a natural, healthy look once you give up shampoo.  Shampoo strips ALL the oils from your hair, then your body produces more oils, causing oily hair.  No poo doesn't strip away the natural oils, only cleans your hair, so your body slows down the production of oil, and your hair has a natural shine.  But if you're going to commit to this, allow it about two months.  Some people give up after only a week or two, and don't feel that it really helped them. Well it takes more than a week or two to fix the imbalance that chemical shampoos have caused.

Did you know that over 232 chemicals have been found in the cord blood of newborn babies - which have passed through the placenta from the mom, many of these chemicals found in shampoos and other common household products?  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/backpack.cord.blood/index.html

I wash my hair with baking soda.  I shake about 2 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty plastic bottle, like an old shampoo bottle.  I half-fill the bottle with warm water, shake well, then spritz it all over my head while I'm in the shower.  I gently massage this through my scalp and my hair, concentrating mostly on my scalp.  I use my fingertips, not my fingernails. You want a good comforting scrub, not a scratch.  Then rinse thoroughly.

About every second or third shampoo, I follow up with a vinegar rinse.  You should use apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar.  Again, I put about 2 tablespoons of vinegar in the bottle, fill with warm water, and work it through my hair and scalp. Then rinse well.

When you are first transitioning to no-poo, you may want to add a traditional chemical conditioner for a few weeks, until your hair balances.  Otherwise, you might want to consider giving yourself a home hot-oil treatment.  

After a few weeks, you should find that your hair is softer, healthier, shinier, and less oily.  As far as the get-up-and-go look, that really has more to do with your hair cut than with your shampoo.  If you don't like the way your hair looks after shampoo, or you don't have time to fix it, you might want to talk with your stylist about a new hair cut and style to fit your busy schedule.

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Raeann11
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I tried it once and it did not work for me. I have such a dry scale and it made it worse. I tried all this different things everyone said to do. What I found works for me is to wash it once a week and then when I shower to just rinse it out.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I wish I could was only once a week!

Quoting Raeann11:

I tried it once and it did not work for me. I have such a dry scale and it made it worse. I tried all this different things everyone said to do. What I found works for me is to wash it once a week and then when I shower to just rinse it out.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thanks! Did you do the No-poo wash daily?

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

I went for three years straight without using any shampoo.  Then I got out of the habit, and I'm just now getting back into it. 

It takes about  two months to get your hair to a natural, healthy look once you give up shampoo.  Shampoo strips ALL the oils from your hair, then your body produces more oils, causing oily hair.  No poo doesn't strip away the natural oils, only cleans your hair, so your body slows down the production of oil, and your hair has a natural shine.  But if you're going to commit to this, allow it about two months.  Some people give up after only a week or two, and don't feel that it really helped them. Well it takes more than a week or two to fix the imbalance that chemical shampoos have caused.

Did you know that over 232 chemicals have been found in the cord blood of newborn babies - which have passed through the placenta from the mom, many of these chemicals found in shampoos and other common household products?  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/backpack.cord.blood/index.html

I wash my hair with baking soda.  I shake about 2 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty plastic bottle, like an old shampoo bottle.  I half-fill the bottle with warm water, shake well, then spritz it all over my head while I'm in the shower.  I gently massage this through my scalp and my hair, concentrating mostly on my scalp.  I use my fingertips, not my fingernails. You want a good comforting scrub, not a scratch.  Then rinse thoroughly.

About every second or third shampoo, I follow up with a vinegar rinse.  You should use apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar.  Again, I put about 2 tablespoons of vinegar in the bottle, fill with warm water, and work it through my hair and scalp. Then rinse well.

When you are first transitioning to no-poo, you may want to add a traditional chemical conditioner for a few weeks, until your hair balances.  Otherwise, you might want to consider giving yourself a home hot-oil treatment.  

After a few weeks, you should find that your hair is softer, healthier, shinier, and less oily.  As far as the get-up-and-go look, that really has more to do with your hair cut than with your shampoo.  If you don't like the way your hair looks after shampoo, or you don't have time to fix it, you might want to talk with your stylist about a new hair cut and style to fit your busy schedule.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I only wash my hair every other day but I have dry hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM

@ OP: I don't have oily hair, but it gets "greasy looking" about two to three days after I wash it.  I just wash it once to twice a week or the night before I go anywhere.
I'm glad you posted this b/c this sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Also, what is the "no-poo" wash?  I just heard Monday about a woman who doesn't wash her hair (or washes it once a week or something).  Otherwise, I've never heard of this before.

@ MomaSnaps: Please give me simple instructions for what you're talking about.  It sounds like you're talking about using conditioner instead of using shampoo?  I don't think I understand, but I want to.  Please explain.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I don't use shampoo on a regular basis. Your hair doesn't need a detergent based shampoo often if at all. However, I do have to rinse and clean it. I think you are looking for not having the wet hair problem that you have to dry and deal with? That's not going to be a real option with oily hair that is truly just plain oily.***** A low maintenance hair do would be much better. If you switch to many of the salon brands that are not detergent based and only WASH on a limited basis you will find your hair is much more healthy and manageable. Using a GOOD conditioner for oily hair to rinse and clean the crud off hair on a regular basis and only washing maybe once a week is sooooo much better.  

Notice those stars? Yeah. Oily hair MAY be from using detergent based shampoos. Your body could be going into overdrive producing the oils that the shampoo is stripping from your hair. In which case after your body re-adjusts it will lessen. 

MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Okay.  So, I googled "no-poo ..." and found that it is an actual product. (rolls eyes; I already have products that work for my hair.)

I then googled "going shampoo free".  I found that "they" say to mix 1T baking soda per 1c water and use that instead of shampoo; then mix 1 (I also saw 2) T vinegar (most say apple cider, but one woman said white worked better for her) vinegar with 1c water and use that instead of conditioner.  At least one of "them" also said you can skip the baking soda if your hair is too dried by it.  One woman said she actually just wets her hair in the shower and sprinkles straight baking soda on her hair and uses it like ??? a powdered shampoo, I guess you'd call it?  Anyway, she said she then rinses it out VERY WELL (rinsing VERY WELL is KEY b/c of the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar); then she pours about 1/4 c vinegar (white) in her hair and massages it through, then does NOT rinse that.

The bottome line is tinker with it and make it work for you.  If your hair needs cleaning, use the baking soda; if it needs conditioning, use the vinegar.  I know from personal experience that the vinegar really does work very well as a conditioner.  IDK why I keep not doing things that work and just keep using the conventional things that kind of work, but usually cause me to have to go buy several other things to get the original thing to work better or whatever (like shampoo). <rolls eyes>

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I just use a GOOD conditioner-I have a friend who is a stylist and I use what she gets me-and rinse out my hair with that. I'd forgo even that if my hair woudn't get that dull crap look to it. I have to rinse the styling product out and the conditioner does that beautifully. That I probably do twice a week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)