Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I really would like to go shampoo free and I would like to hear what you ladies think of it if you are a no-pooer. The reason I want to is because I am a new mom I have to work full time and go to school full time starting in August. My hair needs washed every, but I also need to style so that I look presentable. I don't have time to do this every morning/night. It's always too oily to fix and have it look decent. I want to do the no-poo so I can style it in about 10 minutes or so in the morning before I go out the door. Did you try this? How long? Did it work for you? Would it work for me since my hair is SO oily?? Thanks!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Here is a link from Crunchy Betty talking about how she did it: http://www.crunchybetty.com/no-poo-to-you-too

Basically, you use baking soda (1 T per cup of water) to wash your hair and apple cider viniger (1T per cup of water) to condition it. My hair is super oily and I think it is because of shampoo. I am super sensitive to products.

Quoting MrsJoe125:

@ OP: I don't have oily hair, but it gets "greasy looking" about two to three days after I wash it.  I just wash it once to twice a week or the night before I go anywhere.
I'm glad you posted this b/c this sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Also, what is the "no-poo" wash?  I just heard Monday about a woman who doesn't wash her hair (or washes it once a week or something).  Otherwise, I've never heard of this before.

@ MomaSnaps: Please give me simple instructions for what you're talking about.  It sounds like you're talking about using conditioner instead of using shampoo?  I don't think I understand, but I want to.  Please explain.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I don't use shampoo on a regular basis. Your hair doesn't need a detergent based shampoo often if at all. However, I do have to rinse and clean it. I think you are looking for not having the wet hair problem that you have to dry and deal with? That's not going to be a real option with oily hair that is truly just plain oily.***** A low maintenance hair do would be much better. If you switch to many of the salon brands that are not detergent based and only WASH on a limited basis you will find your hair is much more healthy and manageable. Using a GOOD conditioner for oily hair to rinse and clean the crud off hair on a regular basis and only washing maybe once a week is sooooo much better.  

Notice those stars? Yeah. Oily hair MAY be from using detergent based shampoos. Your body could be going into overdrive producing the oils that the shampoo is stripping from your hair. In which case after your body re-adjusts it will lessen. 

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I have never had to wash my hair daily, so no - I don't no-poo wash daily.  After switching over from shampoo to no-poo, most people find that they can scale back how frequently they have to wash their hair.  So people who wash daily find they can wash their hair every other day, and so forth.  But it doesn't hurt to wash your hair with baking soda.  It is fairly neutral in pH I believe.  Give it a try... and one morning if you wake up and your hair looks great, then maybe don't get it wet when you take your shower.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I wash my hair once a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jasonadamvowell
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I would do the baking soda rinse then do a leave in conditioner.... I used to have to wash my hair everyday, but now I can go about 4 days before my hair starts to smell dirty and look greasy.... And my hair feels healthier than when I washed it everyday.
jasonadamvowell
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Also look it up on Pinterest, she does an awesome job of explaining the differences and walks you through the steps
MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Thanks!  That really helped! :-)

Quoting mcarsel89:

Here is a link from Crunchy Betty talking about how she did it: http://www.crunchybetty.com/no-poo-to-you-too

Basically, you use baking soda (1 T per cup of water) to wash your hair and apple cider viniger (1T per cup of water) to condition it. My hair is super oily and I think it is because of shampoo. I am super sensitive to products.

Quoting MrsJoe125:

@ OP: I don't have oily hair, but it gets "greasy looking" about two to three days after I wash it.  I just wash it once to twice a week or the night before I go anywhere.
I'm glad you posted this b/c this sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Also, what is the "no-poo" wash?  I just heard Monday about a woman who doesn't wash her hair (or washes it once a week or something).  Otherwise, I've never heard of this before.

@ MomaSnaps: Please give me simple instructions for what you're talking about.  It sounds like you're talking about using conditioner instead of using shampoo?  I don't think I understand, but I want to.  Please explain.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I don't use shampoo on a regular basis. Your hair doesn't need a detergent based shampoo often if at all. However, I do have to rinse and clean it. I think you are looking for not having the wet hair problem that you have to dry and deal with? That's not going to be a real option with oily hair that is truly just plain oily.***** A low maintenance hair do would be much better. If you switch to many of the salon brands that are not detergent based and only WASH on a limited basis you will find your hair is much more healthy and manageable. Using a GOOD conditioner for oily hair to rinse and clean the crud off hair on a regular basis and only washing maybe once a week is sooooo much better.  

Notice those stars? Yeah. Oily hair MAY be from using detergent based shampoos. Your body could be going into overdrive producing the oils that the shampoo is stripping from your hair. In which case after your body re-adjusts it will lessen. 

UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I've been doing it for about 6 months. I scrub with baking soda and do an apple cider vinegar rinse. I love it. Less synthetic chemicals in my house...less commercial crap for me to consume...plus, my hair looks great.

I didn't have the oily problem other people report. It does feel different when you wash it...kind of like you didn't wash it, but i totally looks washed, in my case. I do add a drop of Dr.Bronners to the baking soda mix though, because i really missed the smell of shampoo in the morning.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

I've been doing it for about 6 months. I scrub with baking soda and do an apple cider vinegar rinse. I love it. Less synthetic chemicals in my house...less commercial crap for me to consume...plus, my hair looks great.

I didn't have the oily problem other people report. It does feel different when you wash it...kind of like you didn't wash it, but i totally looks washed, in my case. I do add a drop of Dr.Bronners to the baking soda mix though, because i really missed the smell of shampoo in the morning.

I use dr. bronner's for my all over soap and I used it some on my hair. My hair was super oily on that too. I am really hoping this works for me! I did it this morning, hair feels okay, a little oily, but not too bad.
UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I use dr. bronner's for my all over soap and I used it some on my hair. My hair was super oily on that too. I am really hoping this works for me! I did it this morning, hair feels okay, a little oily, but not too bad.

I use it for my all over and for the dishes. I'm so glad they don't put the yellow in it anymore.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I didn't know they ever did that. Did you see the Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds? They are really nice for cleaning! I use the castile soap for shower stuff and the other for cleaning.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I use it for my all over and for the dishes. I'm so glad they don't put the yellow in it anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)