Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I really would like to go shampoo free and I would like to hear what you ladies think of it if you are a no-pooer. The reason I want to is because I am a new mom I have to work full time and go to school full time starting in August. My hair needs washed every, but I also need to style so that I look presentable. I don't have time to do this every morning/night. It's always too oily to fix and have it look decent. I want to do the no-poo so I can style it in about 10 minutes or so in the morning before I go out the door. Did you try this? How long? Did it work for you? Would it work for me since my hair is SO oily?? Thanks!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (21-23):
mcarsel89
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! 5 days 'POO free and loving it!!

mcarsel89
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Hi, I know this is kind of old. But it took you two months to get the oils out? I'm almost to a month and my hair is still oily, not like it was but I still can't wear it down. I am hoping this is done soon!

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

I went for three years straight without using any shampoo.  Then I got out of the habit, and I'm just now getting back into it. 

It takes about  two months to get your hair to a natural, healthy look once you give up shampoo.  Shampoo strips ALL the oils from your hair, then your body produces more oils, causing oily hair.  No poo doesn't strip away the natural oils, only cleans your hair, so your body slows down the production of oil, and your hair has a natural shine.  But if you're going to commit to this, allow it about two months.  Some people give up after only a week or two, and don't feel that it really helped them. Well it takes more than a week or two to fix the imbalance that chemical shampoos have caused.

Did you know that over 232 chemicals have been found in the cord blood of newborn babies - which have passed through the placenta from the mom, many of these chemicals found in shampoos and other common household products?  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/backpack.cord.blood/index.html

I wash my hair with baking soda.  I shake about 2 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty plastic bottle, like an old shampoo bottle.  I half-fill the bottle with warm water, shake well, then spritz it all over my head while I'm in the shower.  I gently massage this through my scalp and my hair, concentrating mostly on my scalp.  I use my fingertips, not my fingernails. You want a good comforting scrub, not a scratch.  Then rinse thoroughly.

About every second or third shampoo, I follow up with a vinegar rinse.  You should use apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar.  Again, I put about 2 tablespoons of vinegar in the bottle, fill with warm water, and work it through my hair and scalp. Then rinse well.

When you are first transitioning to no-poo, you may want to add a traditional chemical conditioner for a few weeks, until your hair balances.  Otherwise, you might want to consider giving yourself a home hot-oil treatment.  

After a few weeks, you should find that your hair is softer, healthier, shinier, and less oily.  As far as the get-up-and-go look, that really has more to do with your hair cut than with your shampoo.  If you don't like the way your hair looks after shampoo, or you don't have time to fix it, you might want to talk with your stylist about a new hair cut and style to fit your busy schedule.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It took me about two months to get my hair back to a natural state... Daily shampooing with modern shampoo products can create very oily hair.  Shifting to baking soda for your shampoo should help readjust your hair to a natural balance.  But it should not be oily immediately after shampooing.  The baking soda scrub should leave your hair clean and healthy - and gradually you should be able to wean yourself away from the daily shampoo.  Most who use baking soda for shampoo, find they can go every other day or even every third day between shampoos.  

Going to baking soda shampoo is healthier, saves you money, doesn't expose you to a miriad of possibly dangerous chemicals - but if your hair is naturally oily, maybe it won't change that much.  I hope for you it does.  I hope if you give it another month or two, you'll be happy with the results.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Hi, I know this is kind of old. But it took you two months to get the oils out? I'm almost to a month and my hair is still oily, not like it was but I still can't wear it down. I am hoping this is done soon!

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

I went for three years straight without using any shampoo.  Then I got out of the habit, and I'm just now getting back into it. 

It takes about  two months to get your hair to a natural, healthy look once you give up shampoo.  Shampoo strips ALL the oils from your hair, then your body produces more oils, causing oily hair.  No poo doesn't strip away the natural oils, only cleans your hair, so your body slows down the production of oil, and your hair has a natural shine.  But if you're going to commit to this, allow it about two months.  Some people give up after only a week or two, and don't feel that it really helped them. Well it takes more than a week or two to fix the imbalance that chemical shampoos have caused.

Did you know that over 232 chemicals have been found in the cord blood of newborn babies - which have passed through the placenta from the mom, many of these chemicals found in shampoos and other common household products?  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/backpack.cord.blood/index.html

I wash my hair with baking soda.  I shake about 2 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty plastic bottle, like an old shampoo bottle.  I half-fill the bottle with warm water, shake well, then spritz it all over my head while I'm in the shower.  I gently massage this through my scalp and my hair, concentrating mostly on my scalp.  I use my fingertips, not my fingernails. You want a good comforting scrub, not a scratch.  Then rinse thoroughly.

About every second or third shampoo, I follow up with a vinegar rinse.  You should use apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar.  Again, I put about 2 tablespoons of vinegar in the bottle, fill with warm water, and work it through my hair and scalp. Then rinse well.

When you are first transitioning to no-poo, you may want to add a traditional chemical conditioner for a few weeks, until your hair balances.  Otherwise, you might want to consider giving yourself a home hot-oil treatment.  

After a few weeks, you should find that your hair is softer, healthier, shinier, and less oily.  As far as the get-up-and-go look, that really has more to do with your hair cut than with your shampoo.  If you don't like the way your hair looks after shampoo, or you don't have time to fix it, you might want to talk with your stylist about a new hair cut and style to fit your busy schedule.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)