Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP~Terrible Two's

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Can anyone recommend a good book that can help me communicate better with my two year old and tactics for getting him to listen? I know this is all part of his terrible two's, but I am feeling completely and utterly clueless on how to handle him when he is having his Dr.  Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moments...

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM
4 moms liked this

Positive Discipline

1-2-3 Magic

They apply to ANY age.

The key to the terrible twos isn't the child or even really communication but the way you handle yourself. If you tell a child something a dozen times (quit... I am warning you... stop now... If you don't stop you are going to sit in time out...) but don't make them do anything you'll have a terrible twos. If you give them one chance and then immediately take action if they do not do what they are told they will learn ASAP that you are the law and things will go much smoother.
Please do not poke your brother. (poke poke) TIME OUT. The message is much stronger than if you continued with "I asked you not to poke our brother" (poke poke) "Do not poke your brother again." (poke poke...) And so on... they know then that you aren't going to do anything and they can push you. 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a little boy who turned two last week, and this is what works best for him. If I immedietly discipline for the action he's not suppose to be doing he understands much better that he's not allowed to do it again.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Positive Discipline

1-2-3 Magic

They apply to ANY age.

The key to the terrible twos isn't the child or even really communication but the way you handle yourself. If you tell a child something a dozen times (quit... I am warning you... stop now... If you don't stop you are going to sit in time out...) but don't make them do anything you'll have a terrible twos. If you give them one chance and then immediately take action if they do not do what they are told they will learn ASAP that you are the law and things will go much smoother.
Please do not poke your brother. (poke poke) TIME OUT. The message is much stronger than if you continued with "I asked you not to poke our brother" (poke poke) "Do not poke your brother again." (poke poke...) And so on... they know then that you aren't going to do anything and they can push you. 

rayroe2
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM
This but hard head child's need a good spanking.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Positive Discipline

1-2-3 Magic

They apply to ANY age.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM

you have to get down to his level, look him in the eye, and tell him what you want, and what you expect...this will have to happen over and over and over and over again, til YOU are worn out, but it will get your point across to the child eventually.  Throwing toys?? Get down to his level, look him in the eye, show him the toy, and say firmly, "NO throwing toys' and put the toy up out of reach.  When he is doing something good, praise him..you want to catch him doing good things and praise him more than you catch him misbehaving and scolding. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I will never agree with this.

Quoting rayroe2:

This but hard head child's need a good spanking.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Positive Discipline

1-2-3 Magic

They apply to ANY age.

Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM
You must also always follow thru. If you say a consequence & then don't follow thru, neither will your child.

A book I love for 3yo & above is You're Not the Boss of Me!
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

" I'm two by me" really helped me ALOT!! Great advice and helps you to understand what your child is thinking when they do different things. I was trying to google it and I can't seem to find it.....I know they also have a 3 year old book and 4 year old book. I'm three, by me. I'm four, by me.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I used and still use this book and what it teaches!! In fact, I just loaned it to a friend. Good luck and I hope your situation gets better!!!

Maddiesmommy123
belindah
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

1-2-3 Magic I used it with my children and it was great

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Great Advice!   I would have said this myself. Even two year olds can do a time out. 

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN