Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can anyone recommend a good book that can help me communicate better with my two year old and tactics for getting him to listen? I know this is all part of his terrible two's, but I am feeling completely and utterly clueless on how to handle him when he is having his Dr.  Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moments...

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
kali_mom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry no books to recommend however be consistent with what ever you decide. Children crave and need boundaries so they look to us to guide them. If you do implement time outs you must stick with and never waiver. Hang in there it gets better! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

1-2-3 Magic

marisab
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1-2-3 magic
LindaClement
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Unconditional Parenting, by Alfie Kohn.

He's overwhelmed ... it comes out his body. He can't help it, because he's immature. It helps a LOT to find out what's unrealistic to expect of a toddler, even when adults think it's 'normal.'

Kimapeli1974
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Thank you everyone that has replies, I am very thankful for the advice. Hopefully I will be able to approach the situations differently and  not feel as helpless when he gets out of control..

ashley9603
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys are only 20 months but it still feels like the terrible twos at times...however I simply pick my battles and know that by reacting is just what they want,I simply choose how to react in a positive way.Some of there undesirable behavior has been eliminated this way.

Kimapeli1974
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you...I definitely choose my battles or I would sound like a broken record telling him no....lol

hsrudy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM

You have to be firm but loving. My first son threw temper tantrums for a short while.  Although I'm a mother who still believes in spankings, spanking won't make him listen.  If he's being defiant or throwing a tantrum, put him a room where he is safe and sit him down explain to him (in 2 yr old language of course), "When you're calm, mommy will come back." It's tough, I know because I've been there.  I didn't know if letting him calm down on his own would work.  But you have to keep at it, sooner or later, your son will realize that you are not going to reward his bad behavior.

Shinta_Rose
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Perfect example! I had terrible twos last year and now I have my twins going through terrible twos. This method of doing things makes everything much easier.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Positive Discipline

1-2-3 Magic

They apply to ANY age.

The key to the terrible twos isn't the child or even really communication but the way you handle yourself. If you tell a child something a dozen times (quit... I am warning you... stop now... If you don't stop you are going to sit in time out...) but don't make them do anything you'll have a terrible twos. If you give them one chance and then immediately take action if they do not do what they are told they will learn ASAP that you are the law and things will go much smoother.
Please do not poke your brother. (poke poke) TIME OUT. The message is much stronger than if you continued with "I asked you not to poke our brother" (poke poke) "Do not poke your brother again." (poke poke...) And so on... they know then that you aren't going to do anything and they can push you. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Check out the website for Dr. Laura Markham (aha Parenting).  I like her goals and the patience as a parent that she emulates.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)