Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Abnormal or Just Terrible 2's?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 19 months, so a little over a year and a half. I know a lot of babies talk, but it seems like mine is saying less than he was two months ago. He does know three languages, and I wonder if this is what is causing the issue, him not be being able to express himself. 

The Issue(s)

1. He pinches. I've tried ot get him to stop, but he still does it.

2. He throws fits... and nothing will console him. He is fussy and cries and I don't know what to do... He used to throw little tantrums and I'd ignore him and he'd stop, but now if he doesnt get what he want he just starts screaming and won't stop... and he can scream a long time, and he'll just be upset and stomp from room to room... He didnt used to do this and it drives me bonkers... 

3. He throws EVERYTHING. I'll tell him not to throw things, and to pick it up, and he'll pick it up only to throw it again... and if I take it away he starts screaming... 

4. I have a terrible time to get him to go to sleep. I co-sleep and some nights I can spend HOURS waiting for him to fall asleep, even if I know he's tired.

Is this normal??

He just says mama all the time, over and over and over again..... I'm glad he loves me but I wish he'd say something else, he used to say around 25 words, now I'm luck if he says three words a day, Just mama mama mama for everything... 

I feel helpless 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:10 AM

It all sounds normal for this age.   What have you done for discipline or teaching him the rules of family?  Now is the time  to teach time outs for not listening to mommy.  1 min per year of age so he would be at maximum in time out for 2 minutes sitting still.   For the speech I would have him looked over just in case.  What are the 3 languages he understands.  I figure english is one of them.

JoeMax
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Pretty normal, try putting him in time out. One minute per age, and explain to him why you are putting him there. Be consistent and he with him and he will eventually figure out that you mean business. I'm not sure about the speech, maybe he is a bit overwhelmed by knowing so many. I would choose one language to speak to him consistently through the week, and keep the others present in small doses at various times through the week. Maybe he just isn't quite sure which language he should be speaking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

He just says mama all the time, over and over and over again..... I'm glad he loves me but I wish he'd say something else, he used to say around 25 words, now I'm luck if he says three words a day, Just mama mama mama for everything... 

when  did you notice his speech took a dive, and he started saying less?   From what you have described, i don't think it's normal.  Hours waiting for him to go to sleep?  What does he do all day to get worn out?  If you cannot get a grip on his tantrums and screaming at all with some advice, over a period of say, at least three  months, then your next step should be to have him looked at for any developmental delays, esp if you notice his behavior getting worse, instead of better.  

another idea is to divert his energy...take him to physical activites to get wear him out, and get his physical aggression out too...a place where he can throw balls, mite be good, for example.  How baby friendly is your house? Do you find yourself following him around to keep him safe all day long? If so, set up one room he can play in to ease your stress.   What do you do all day with him?

UpSheRises
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you might want to have him evaluated for early intervention services. The fact that his language has digressed and that he repeats the same word over and over is what concerns me. Toddlers are qwirky...it could be nothing, but it could be a sign that he needs a little extra support.

Fits and fusses are normal to an extent, especially for toddlers who are just beginning to develop social/emotional skills like empathy and anger management. If you aren't able to recognize that your actions are hurting other people (empathy) you'll just keep right on doing them. Likewise, if you can't manage your anger you might have fits that last for a really long time. He should be at the beginning stages of developing empathy and some anger management skills but if he isn't, you might want a little extra support.

Here's the place you contact. The services they provide will be managed by your school district or by a nonprofit agency and will be completely free from evaluation to treatment. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about what will happen or what they'll look for.

https://1800earlyon.org/

Most parents wonder at times if their child is growing and developing like other children. If you question how your child is developing, "Don't worry. But don't wait." Early On assists families with infants and toddlers, from birth until 36 months or 3 years of age, who have a delay in their development or a diagnosed disability.

UpSheRises
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Good eye mama! This is why it takes a village. 

Quoting emmy526:

Quote:

when  did you notice his speech took a dive, and he started saying less?   From what you have described, i don't think it's normal.  Hours waiting for him to go to sleep?  What does he do all day to get worn out?  If you cannot get a grip on his tantrums and screaming at all with some advice, over a period of say, at least three  months, then your next step should be to have him looked at for any developmental delays, esp if you notice his behavior getting worse, instead of better.  

another idea is to divert his energy...take him to physical activites to get wear him out, and get his physical aggression out too...a place where he can throw balls, mite be good, for example.  How baby friendly is your house? Do you find yourself following him around to keep him safe all day long? If so, set up one room he can play in to ease your stress.   What do you do all day with him?

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I would first try to consistently discipline to get him to stop the pinching and throwing of the toys.  I'd also try to find a way to divert his energy - give him an outlet for all that physical energy via activities. 

His speech is regressing though, so it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out.  In addition, he's having tantrums and showing signs of aggression.  Toddlers are quirky and sometimes go through phases, but if it continues and you've exhausted your options I would really consider getting him evaluated.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM
What discipline are you using to curb this behavior? Time outs are in order consistantly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nanamom127
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I'd get him evaluated if his speech has regressed. There's nothing wrong with seeking information. 

liliem
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Has he been vaccinated? Check out the stories on thinktwice.com and see if any relate to yours. 

AleaKat
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Sounds totally normal but 3 is much worse...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)