Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

medical transcription

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 7 Replies
I am seriously considering training online for this. Before I had kids I worked as an LPN and so I already have a lot of the prerequisites under my belt. I just want to bring in a little extra cash so dh and I can get the last bit of debt paid off quicker. So, my question is, for those of you who have done it did you train online ? Where did you get your training from, were you adequately prepared? Was the course flexible enough for a sahm? And about how long did it take and what was the general cost? I have been doing a lot of research and found a ton of sites that offer different prices, even some for free (too good to be true;) I thought it might help to hear from some others who have already done it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JoeMax
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM
BUMP!
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM

My 2 friends did it. Then the jobs got outsourced. It much cheaper to have people in India or the Philippines do it.

JoeMax
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Thanks for theresponse. Did yourfriends have trouble finding new jobs in transcribing?

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

My 2 friends did it. Then the jobs got outsourced. It much cheaper to have people in India or the Philippines do it.

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Most hospitals/doctor offices are now hoing computerized. The hospital I work at has a voice identification system, when ever the doctor dictates anything the computer types it up. Medical Transcription is dying out, in a few years you wont be able to find a job... what about medical coding and billing?
MomofSCMJJA
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I checked into this alot and talked to several women who do it before deciding that it WASNN'T going to work.  1)  The correspondance schools that offer the courses make it sound like all you have to do is ask and you will have doctors lining up to be your clients.  Reality:  think about it.  If you were a doctor, would you turn your patient records over to just any old person who walks in to your practice and says they took a correspondance course?  Of course not.  You are going to go with what's safe and either hire someone to work in house or contract out to a company that does transcription and is all properly bonded and insured and background checked, etc.  2)  The correspondance schools make it sound like anyone can work from home.  The truth is, every single one I talked to who does it from home started out working in a transcription company for at least a year before they were offered the opportunity to work from home.  NONE of them worked from home from the beginning.  Many of them tried, but couldn't find doctors willing to work with them unproven.  3)  There are not NEARLY as many jobs doing medical transcription as there are people certified by these courses to do it.  They churn them out, assuring them that they have a placement service, but of the several women I talked to, three of them told the same story of reuqesting information on open positions from the placement service and what they got was essentially a listing of the doctors offices nearby and they were encouraged to contact the doctors to offer their services.  Not one of them reported getting any clients this way.  I do know two women who do medical transcription full-time at home and make good money at it.  But both of them worked their way up to earning the right to apply for at-home work in an established company.  Both of them had the same advice.  Contact medical transcription companies and apply for a job.  If they are hiring, they will usually train you with their own inside training program.  You won't have to put out hundreds of dollars on a dubious correspondance course.  And in time, you will be able to work from home.

I suppose in a very small town, though, someone may be able to get some local doctor to trust them, but I can't see being able to build a large enough business to make it worthwhile.

want10more
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:51 AM

i started the course, only to find that there was nobody hiring. i went to careerstep. flexible yes. cost about 2K for startup, then you have to purchase extensions. my sis did the same thing and finished, spent over 3k to find that they were going w/ voice recognition sites.

MTinTexas
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I received my training from Career Step online, in 2005.  If you do not finish in 1 year, you can buy an extension.  However, if you are motivated and if you already have A&P knowledge plus are familiar with terminology, you shouldn't have any trouble.  I finished in 10 months, only studying 20 hours a week and had NO prior experience.  Yes, the technology is changing but in a positive way, in my experience.  Instead of typing every single word, speech recognition helps and does the majority of the work for you.  I simply edit the file now only making minor changes.  Most hospitals do hire a service for transcription needs, which is nice that you do not need to find your own clients AND that location is not important.  You can work for an out-of-state hospital from the comfort of your own home.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to message me if you like!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)