Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Burning hands and feet at night

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 13 Replies
As long as I can remember I have always had a problem with burning hands and feet when I go to sleep. When I was younger I would keep a wet towel or keep a spray bottle and spray my feet to try and keep it cool. It would only work for a few seconds and it seemed as it would get worse. Almost like drinking water when you eat something really spicy..you get relief just for a bit and it gets worse...
It's worse some nights than others but last night it was unbearable..I had the fan on and even went to go put some peppermint essential oil on my hands and feet but I couldn't even feel it! I don't feel any pain..just frustration and annoyance since it disrupts my sleep. Does anyone else have this problem or know why this is happening?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I get it, but not to that degree... I just sometimes have to go run my hands under cold water in the middle of the night.

I'm a hot sleeper... my husband calls me a heater.  I figured it was the extra heat trying to escape.  

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

My mom has the same problem. She has been to a million doctors (she has other health problems with her back and stuff) and no one can really pinpoint what is causing it. One doctor said something about the nerves in her back being damaged could cause it but I'm not sure of the details on that. She hasn't found any relief either, sometimes she is up for 2 or 3 days without sleep when it gets really bad.

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

It is probably caused by pinched nerves... which years ago a chiropractor might have been able to help.  But if you've had it for years, the damage could be permanent.  You could try a visit to a chiropractor, but it's doubtful after all this time he could help.  If only the health care professionals would recognize when chiropractic can actually HELP, and share that information!  But they are so busy protecting their jobs, they can't be truthful.  My daughter was almost paralzyed from a pinched nerve in her back.  We saw dozens of doctors and spent $100,000+ on tests, all inconclusive.  The doctors could see that she had swelling.  They believed she was in pain, as they prescribed oxyconton.  But they couldn't say WHY.  Then, after months of suffering, a 30 minute visit to a chiropractor had her pain free, and walking without crutches!  The chiropractor then told us that if we'd waiting much longer, her condition could have become permanent.  I haven't trusted medical professionals since.

ameraznkimko
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Wow I didn't know that a chiropractor could be that helpful but that's good to know...I'm glad that your daughter finally figured out what was going on and got some help

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

It is probably caused by pinched nerves... which years ago a chiropractor might have been able to help.  But if you've had it for years, the damage could be permanent.  You could try a visit to a chiropractor, but it's doubtful after all this time he could help.  If only the health care professionals would recognize when chiropractic can actually HELP, and share that information!  But they are so busy protecting their jobs, they can't be truthful.  My daughter was almost paralzyed from a pinched nerve in her back.  We saw dozens of doctors and spent $100,000+ on tests, all inconclusive.  The doctors could see that she had swelling.  They believed she was in pain, as they prescribed oxyconton.  But they couldn't say WHY.  Then, after months of suffering, a 30 minute visit to a chiropractor had her pain free, and walking without crutches!  The chiropractor then told us that if we'd waiting much longer, her condition could have become permanent.  I haven't trusted medical professionals since.

ameraznkimko
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I have been going nuts so I ended up buying a bed fan from brookstone and those sheets that are suppose to be really soft and regulate body temperature..I can't believe that I just spent all that money but I'm so desperate to find relief..I will let you know if it helps at all then maybe it will help your mom too

Quoting lovinmama411:

My mom has the same problem. She has been to a million doctors (she has other health problems with her back and stuff) and no one can really pinpoint what is causing it. One doctor said something about the nerves in her back being damaged could cause it but I'm not sure of the details on that. She hasn't found any relief either, sometimes she is up for 2 or 3 days without sleep when it gets really bad.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

this is from webmd.com

A burning sensation in your feet may be caused by nerve damage in the legs, also called neuropathy. Although many medical conditions can cause burning feet, diabetes is the most common. Most burning feet treatments focus on preventing further nerve damage and reducing pain.

DaniandTom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I've also always had that burning feet and hands and now have neuropathy in both. I did find that if my feet were hot during the day--closed up in heavy shoes that don't breathe--my feet would be worse at night. Extreme temperatures also tend to cause it to be worse for me. Keep your feet covered and clean, don't use heavy lotions and don't let them get too hot or too cold. Have you been tested for diabetes? Diabetes is the most common cause of neuropathy or nerve damage in the feet and hands. It's hard to pinpoint my cause as I am diabetic but also have herniated disks in my neck and lower back as well as arthritis in both my neck and lower back. Talk to your doctor and see what he recommends you try. Hope you get some relief!

LindaClement
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It may be a symptom of dehydration, as your body isn't sweating appropriately.

Dehydration causes a lot of bizarre and persistent symptoms. Make sure you're drinking enough plain water every day to keep your lips dark (pale lips are an early sign of dehydration)...

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

No, I've never had it but it does sound like possible nerve damage. I have nerve damage in my lower back and my legs randomly go numb. Chiropractor was an enormous help.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Ok, thanks! I know it must be miserable, hope you find something.

Quoting ameraznkimko:

I have been going nuts so I ended up buying a bed fan from brookstone and those sheets that are suppose to be really soft and regulate body temperature..I can't believe that I just spent all that money but I'm so desperate to find relief..I will let you know if it helps at all then maybe it will help your mom too

Quoting lovinmama411:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN