Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be bleeding this much?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am currently 8 weeks postpartum. I had postpartum bleeding steadily for about two weeks, then off and on for a few more, then nothing for a week or so. Now, I believe I've restarted my period... but it's RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY!!

I had problems as a teen and went on birth control to correct/control my periods, and then stopped taking any kind of BC in 2009 after almost 10 years. About 8 months later, I started having a perfectly normal, textbook period: five days long on average, heavy the first two days with moderate cramping, then tapered off to light, to nothing. Like clockwork, every 30-35 days, for two and a half years. Got pregnant supposedly in May 2012.

So I'm a little worried. I've had absolutely no cramping, but I'm worried the super-heavy bleeding might be a sign I'll be back at square one. I haven't started any BC yet (going for an IUD once I get approved for Medicaid because condoms obviously didn't work for us... ha!), and I know that after my IUD is inserted I will most likely have some weird periods. But right now, I am bleeding through a "super" absorbency tampon and into a heavy pad within an hour or two. This, compared to my periods for the last few years, is not normal for me.

Did anyone else have an experience like this? Did it indicate a problem, or did everything eventually return to normal for you? I know 8 weeks postpartum isn't a whole lot, but I thought it would be enough that I'd be... me again.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoftwo0406
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
It sounds like you are having a "normal " period. Doctors don't worry unless you are changing yourself every 30-60 min and/or you are bleeding for 14+ days. If you are getting very large clots and have pain I would go see your doc just to make sure everything is ok and nothing got left in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I'd venture to guess you are just adjusting to all of the changes in your body. I'd give it a few months and if your periods don't regulate and go back to normal then you may have problems again. Chances are it'll go back to normal. 

You also may have a lot of fluids in there that you don't realize. Especially when blood is very BRIGHT red. Your body is still getting rid of lots of pregnancy crap and this is one of the ways some of that is going. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Any concerns you have go to the doctor.   I almost didnt go until a home nurse saw me and knew something was wrong that it wasnt a normal period.  I had to have surgery to fix the issue.

MamaMerkle126
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Wow, this far out? I figured at 8 weeks I'd have nothing left.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I'd venture to guess you are just adjusting to all of the changes in your body. I'd give it a few months and if your periods don't regulate and go back to normal then you may have problems again. Chances are it'll go back to normal. 

You also may have a lot of fluids in there that you don't realize. Especially when blood is very BRIGHT red. Your body is still getting rid of lots of pregnancy crap and this is one of the ways some of that is going. 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

My periods have always been heavy but only for like a day then went much lighter when they did come because of PCOS they always came whenever until I was about 20 then the got regular until I got pregnant with DS. After I had him, my periods are super heavy for 4 days then start to get lighter and come at irregular times. sometimes a few days late to a month late.

wickedstepjenn
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
After I had My son I bled heavy. Then my first period after was crazy heavy. I developed pcos the periods went away for a long time (years). I gave up on a 2nd child, went on birth control pills became "normal" so I stopped after a year. For 5 years I had normal periods. Then my period got crazy again so I'm back on bc. I don't know if its because I'm 39 and maybe pre-meno. But long story short I'd go to the drs. Its better to be safe than sorry. I'm scared of the iud. So all I can suggest is the pill. I wish you luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

You are still shedding baby weight and all kinds of things within your body and I've been told it takes a full year to get all of that out of your system. The first couple of months for the stuff like this bleeding and so forth. After that it's more metabolizing the fat stores and getting your bones and muscles back to their normal shape. 

Wickedstepjenn also reminded me that roughly every 7 years your body has fully regenerated, so what was 7 years ago may all of a sudden not be anymore and vice-a-versa. If you didn't have allergies you could develop them... things like that. For me it seems that it's about the year AFTER a 7 year mark-22, 29, 36.... 

Quoting wickedstepjenn:

After I had My son I bled heavy. Then my first period after was crazy heavy. I developed pcos the periods went away for a long time (years). I gave up on a 2nd child, went on birth control pills became "normal" so I stopped after a year. For 5 years I had normal periods. Then my period got crazy again so I'm back on bc. I don't know if its because I'm 39 and maybe pre-meno. But long story short I'd go to the drs. Its better to be safe than sorry. I'm scared of the iud. So all I can suggest is the pill. I wish you luck!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM
That's perfectly normal. Your ob/gyn who delivered you should have explained how long to expect post partum bleeding to continue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I bled a lot with my first. About 3 weeks consistently, and then like you said, off and on. Shortly after, I got my first real period and it was heavy and clotty. 

I had a very difficult labor with her, so the docs said that could have been why.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Call your doctor or clinic and ask them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured