Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my 11 year old son cut his hair?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post
yesterday upon picking my son up from school I noticed something different about him. he always has a short hair clipper cut, As he was walking towards me I noticed 3 patches of hair missing from the front of his head. Large enough for me to see immediately. I tryed to talk to him about it and it upset him to the point of tears. I questioned whether or not someone had done that to him, if hes being bullied? to each of which the answer was no. He insist he doesnt know why he did it. My husband says its a silly thing he did out of boredom. Am I reading to deep into this? I do know that it is way out of my sons character to do something like this. Also if anyone has any advice to help with talking with him about this I would be most grateful. Thank you and have a blessed day
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
Zazayam
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Yeah you're reading too much into it. He was probably just bored or something and is now embarassed because it didn't come out looking so great, lol.

It'll grow back, lessons learned :)

shirl3436
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Gril my grand daughter was always cutting each others  hair. I think all kids do it if you feel you need to talk to him ask him if there is a certain cut he likes or seen someone had a look he liked, but all in all it was a deal wth I think I will cut my hair to see how it looks.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM
My dd cut her hair before and lied about it. No biggie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommato6
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

My kids have never cut their hair but they probably will at one point. But this made me think of when I was younger and cut my brothers hair. I was about 2 and he was 4. No idea why he let me do it but my mom took lots of pictures.

Butterfly1108
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM

At a certain time and age a young child is curious of cutting hair I don't know why but I remember my little brother at the time (now 40...lol) cut the front part of his hair really short...lol and a few days later there was picture day at school...lol OMG thinking about it right now just made me laugh thanks for the reminder...lol

Your son will be just fine ;)

disneyrose
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Well at least it was his and not someone else's LOL, sorry......but I agree with others, most kids try it atleast one time, sometimes as a little kid sometimes as a teen, I guess your kid was 11 when he tried

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd have my boys buzzed as long as I could anyway. :)

Quoting whoodathunk:

I'd be concerned with an 11 yo crying about it.  I'd sit down quietly, tell him you're not upset but you need to know the truth so that you know he's safe.  Maybe you can give him a tight buzz till ig grows back.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wildhorses420
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM

He probably did it just to experiment or to try something. At that age, he's starting to really test his autonomy. He probably was brought to tears because of embarrassment that it came out funny. Maybe some kids (as they naturally would) got a kick out of it and maybe teased him a little about the bald spots...not meaning to bully but kids do still need to learn tact at that age as well. At that age...omg..my daughter did just about every embarrassing thing imaginable. She did all sorts of things with her hair...and her hair is so thick it once cost me $120 to fix what she did (she tried dying it and ended up looking like Rainbow Brite..she was a little older than 11 at the time she had a babysitting job so she bought the dye herself lol..I wasn't happy about the cost but looking back it's funny). Then she was around 12 when she started plucking her naturally perfect eyebrows. Well one day she couldn't find the tweezers so she tried nail clippers and ended up with bald patches on her eyebrows...that was SOOO hilarious. She came running into the living room in a panic and I instantly started to laugh..only she did not think it was too funny. I had to call my mother (who sold Avon) and ask her about an eyebrow pencil telling her that it was me who messed up my brows because my daughter was too embarrassed. Shes' much older now and we laugh about those things. At the time, they were MAJOR crisis matters. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM

most kids cut their hair at least once! its kind of something they all do just to learn NOT to do it again...LOL..i would think you may be looking to much into it. 

moniagee
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I would be more upset about him crying about it personally. Just sit him down when you're less shocked and ask him for the truth. Tell him you're not mad, just that it seems out of character for him to cut his hair. There's a reason behind it. Even if it was him just being bored, there's still a reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)