Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

almost 20 months past and....(update)

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 115 Replies

....my daughter just does not sleep through the night without a meal. She wakes up every night at around the same time and starts crying or moaning and keeps going and does not go back to sleep ....I feel like I'm on the "autopilot" just get up give her the milk and change er and go back to sleep.....it only takes about 10 min to d it but it takes a long time for me to fall back to sleep....and then a long day taking care of 3 kids....

Yes I'm aware that she should be off the formula and bottle by now. We are slowly "graduating". And I tried NOT getting up.....but she'll just go fo hours moaning  and that means rough night for both of us...

Any advice ?

Thank you ladies so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought a lot about the fact that maybe she is not getting enough food during the day ( the problem is that she's always nibbling and does not want to sit down and have a meal and always WANTS to nibble on something). She is not underweight btw (somewhere around 25% ) but not being on formula will not kill her either.

I will try to take a first step tonight - if she wakes up as usual I'll wait as long as I can (without loosing my mind and sleep) for her to go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I will offer her just plain water. Will keep you ladies posted on how that goes.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heatherann2
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 20 months he wakes up in the middle of the night. Some times he will want a cup or he well just fall asleep on his own. Try giving her a snack about half an hour before bed (not sugary) and some water. My kids eat dinner at 5 then at 7 they will have a snack and bed at 8
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM
6 moms liked this

Ignore her. Stop the bottles. It's up to you as the parent. It's really not that difficult. 

MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting heatherann2:

My son is 20 months he wakes up in the middle of the night. Some times he will want a cup or he well just fall asleep on his own. Try giving her a snack about half an hour before bed (not sugary) and some water. My kids eat dinner at 5 then at 7 they will have a snack and bed at 8

well about a few weeks ago I stopped giving her a bottle right before bedtime. Started just feeding her something little more solid .

And I tried giving her some rice milk during her "night time " well.....she's not  a big fan of any changes :) and was not drinking it. And still waking up. And she goes to bed too between 8-9

luvhubandbabys
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

you may have to put up with a few rough nights...when i broke my kids of the bottle they whined for a few days then got over it.. put up with a few nights of little sleep to get her off the bottle....besides not good for her teeth to drink milk in a bottle at that age.....at the very least start brushing her teeth after that bottle

heatherann2
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
If mine wake up they get water. :)

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

you may have to put up with a few rough nights...when i broke my kids of the bottle they whined for a few days then got over it.. put up with a few nights of little sleep to get her off the bottle....besides not good for her teeth to drink milk in a bottle at that age.....at the very least start brushing her teeth after that bottle

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Cold turkey give up the bottle. Longer you wait the harder it gets. 13 months is the best time really. Stop the eating at night when she wakes. Soothe her without picking her up. You are giving her everything she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You are going to have to break her of the bottle at some point. It's going to be hard whenever you do it. You'll have a few rough nights, but it will be ok in the end. And why is she still on formula at almost  years old? What has her pediatritian said? At 20 months she should certainly be able to self soothe.

PortiaRose
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
31 moms liked this
oh fucking shut it. some kids are harder than others.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Ignore her. Stop the bottles. It's up to you as the parent. It's really not that difficult. 

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Only hard if you give in to them. My daughters weren't happy when we took away bottles, but they got over it in a couple of days. It's really not hard at all. Quite simple, actually. 

Quoting PortiaRose:

oh fucking shut it. some kids are harder than others.

Quoting EvilAsh:

CafeMom Tickers
mommieof38829
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
My son is 11 months and still wakes up two times for a bottle at night. When he turns a year we will be on elecare jr then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)