Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

almost 20 months past and....(update)

Posted by   + Show Post

....my daughter just does not sleep through the night without a meal. She wakes up every night at around the same time and starts crying or moaning and keeps going and does not go back to sleep ....I feel like I'm on the "autopilot" just get up give her the milk and change er and go back to sleep.....it only takes about 10 min to d it but it takes a long time for me to fall back to sleep....and then a long day taking care of 3 kids....

Yes I'm aware that she should be off the formula and bottle by now. We are slowly "graduating". And I tried NOT getting up.....but she'll just go fo hours moaning  and that means rough night for both of us...

Any advice ?

Thank you ladies so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought a lot about the fact that maybe she is not getting enough food during the day ( the problem is that she's always nibbling and does not want to sit down and have a meal and always WANTS to nibble on something). She is not underweight btw (somewhere around 25% ) but not being on formula will not kill her either.

I will try to take a first step tonight - if she wakes up as usual I'll wait as long as I can (without loosing my mind and sleep) for her to go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I will offer her just plain water. Will keep you ladies posted on how that goes.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
PortiaRose
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
you dont ignore a kid at night. i believe in independence all day long. i also believe in responding to a kid. you can respond without giving in.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Only hard if you give in to them. My daughters weren't happy when we took away bottles, but they got over it in a couple of days. It's really not hard at all. Quite simple, actually. 

Quoting PortiaRose:

oh fucking shut it. some kids are harder than others.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Ignore her. Stop the bottles. It's up to you as the parent. It's really not that difficult. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

If it's the whiny cries, I ignore the kids. There's nothing wrong with that.  If it was anything serious, my kids would come and get me or my husband. 

Quoting PortiaRose:

you dont ignore a kid at night. i believe in independence all day long. i also believe in responding to a kid. you can respond without giving in.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Only hard if you give in to them. My daughters weren't happy when we took away bottles, but they got over it in a couple of days. It's really not hard at all. Quite simple, actually. 

Quoting PortiaRose:

oh fucking shut it. some kids are harder than others.

Quoting EvilAsh:

Ignore her. Stop the bottles. It's up to you as the parent. It's really not that difficult. 

CafeMom Tickers
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Ignoring doesn't always work.  My son will scream and scream and get so upset that he makes himself sick.  Sorry, but I'm not doing that to my kid.

Quoting EvilAsh:

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
3 moms liked this

That's not my deal. I don't care what you do with your kids. When someone asks for advice on an advice site, I offered mine and what's worked for me and my kids. Take it or leave it.

Quoting Megan11587:

Ignoring doesn't always work.  My son will scream and scream and get so upset that he makes himself sick.  Sorry, but I'm not doing that to my kid.

Quoting EvilAsh:

CafeMom Tickers
MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting EvilAsh:

That is another reason I tend to her also the fact that she'll wake up my DH (who only gets 4-5 hours of sleep in the first place) and then I worry and cant sleep myself just laying there and wondering if she'll go back to sleep herself or keep going and sometimes she soiles herself and I don't want her to stay in a poopy diaper for hours....:(

MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting EvilAsh:

That's not my deal. I don't care what you do with your kids. When someone asks for advice on an advice site, I offered mine and what's worked for me and my kids. Take it or leave it.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting EvilAsh:

I appreciate it very much! I exactly wanted moms to share their experiences telling what worked for them....

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Well by adding your last two sentences turned you into a nice advice giving mother to a judgmental bitch.  

Quoting EvilAsh:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting EvilAsh:

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Okay, no arguments from me. Again, not my problem when parents complain about these things. My kids are all set, that's what matters to me. =)

Quoting Megan11587:

Well by adding your last two sentences turned you into a nice advice giving mother to a judgmental bitch.  

Quoting EvilAsh:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting EvilAsh:

CafeMom Tickers
Raeann11
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My second did not sleep through the night till 3 years old. She still has times she wakes up and she is 6 years old.

My two year old right know sleeps more times through the night. But we still have times she wakes up and crawls into bed with us.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I agree especially about brushing her teeth after feed her at night. Only give her water, or put water in a sippy.  My kids woke up in the middle of the night and sat up and played quietly then went back to sleep.

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

you may have to put up with a few rough nights...when i broke my kids of the bottle they whined for a few days then got over it.. put up with a few nights of little sleep to get her off the bottle....besides not good for her teeth to drink milk in a bottle at that age.....at the very least start brushing her teeth after that bottle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)