Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

almost 20 months past and....(update)

Posted by   + Show Post

....my daughter just does not sleep through the night without a meal. She wakes up every night at around the same time and starts crying or moaning and keeps going and does not go back to sleep ....I feel like I'm on the "autopilot" just get up give her the milk and change er and go back to sleep.....it only takes about 10 min to d it but it takes a long time for me to fall back to sleep....and then a long day taking care of 3 kids....

Yes I'm aware that she should be off the formula and bottle by now. We are slowly "graduating". And I tried NOT getting up.....but she'll just go fo hours moaning  and that means rough night for both of us...

Any advice ?

Thank you ladies so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought a lot about the fact that maybe she is not getting enough food during the day ( the problem is that she's always nibbling and does not want to sit down and have a meal and always WANTS to nibble on something). She is not underweight btw (somewhere around 25% ) but not being on formula will not kill her either.

I will try to take a first step tonight - if she wakes up as usual I'll wait as long as I can (without loosing my mind and sleep) for her to go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I will offer her just plain water. Will keep you ladies posted on how that goes.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
Briangel
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I fear I will have that problem w/dd. she's 9 mo now, but still wakes twice to eat, same times every night. What we will try is a nighttime snack b4 bed, and if she wakes to eat maybe offer water, then maybe she will stop wanting it when she learns she isn't going to get formula anymore. We'll get rid of all bottles on her 1st bday, to avoid the temptation of using them. That worked for my 3 yr old.

Another piece of advice that was given to me, (which we have not tried yet) during those night feedings, gradually give her less each time. She will then learn to eat more during the day in order to not need those night feedings.

Lastly- what my sil did (worked for her, I personally don't agree with it, but her kids, her choice) she put a cup of milk with ice in it - to keep it from getting warm and spoiling. She would put that in her dd's crib when she put her to bed, so when she woke up waning to eat, she would just get her cup, drink it and go back to sleep. So my sil no longer had to get up with her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

BUMP

I breastfeed until at least 2, but it's completely different than getting a bottle at that age, so it was never something I tried to stop.

Good luck!

MichaelsMom0711
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My little guy is 20 months ant still wakes up a few times a night for a bottle. He has been off formula and on whole milk since right when he turned 1 but still on the bottle when hes getting tired and ready for a nap or bed. He is up until midnight, sometimes later and no, there is no "getting them on an earlier schedule" either! we tried keeping him up from naps so he'll sleep earlier and more soundly thru the night but he just fell asleep sitting up and it made bed time even later, hes a night owl like us but then he wakes for that bottle. I tried ignoring his crying too and going cold turkey off the bottle but he just didnt stop and i get up at 6:30 a.m to get ready to leave for work by 7:00. I want to do this before his baby brother gets here in July cuz that will really be hell getting up for 2, it will be like having twins! but it doesnt sound like theres really an easy way to do this other than letting them cry it out and eventually cry themselves to sleep again i guess.....  :/

wolfybaby
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM
i dont have advice, just sympathy. my breast-fed daughter still nurses at night and sometimes wakes up and nurses [we co-sleep].
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
With ds I just put water in his bottle. He hated it threw it and was done with them. So I don't know what to tell you busides only put water in it.
zetajen
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I would get up with baby and just hold her and rock her. don't offer the bottle. comfort her and help her back to sleep. she will probably wake up again later that night. do the same thing. after a week or so, (I know it will be rough) she won't be expecting a bottle at night. Once that habit is broken, it will be easier for her to self soothe.

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM
My 26 month old has yet to sleep through the night. She gets up to nurse. Lately she has been up every 3 hours and its becoming a problem now so I'm going to have to wean at night. I really don't know where to begin, but I'm.sure we will both be better rested when it happens.
ashley9603
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Well my boys went through that stage...I dont give in.Once they know you will give in and you actually do they will keep it up.I always make sure nutritionally they are not lacking anything.No reason a 20 month old(my twins are 21 months)shouldnt be sleeping through the night and should not be getting a bottle either(I know you are working on that)Its possible maybe she is not getting enough to eat during the day?I havent read all the replies,but what is her diet like?

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Don't give milk (or formula) at night anymore.  If she wakes up, give her water.  Have you tried a bowl of oatmeal or a large banana just before she goes to bed?  Does she have a nighttime rountine that's the same every night?

You can also get some Lavander essential oil and rub a little bit into the bottoms of her feet each night.  It's calming.  Eucalyptus oil will do the same thing.

xtriciax
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

i night weaned dd at 3 or 4 months 2 nights of crying (no more then 10 mins) and she was good. she is the only one i have (im preg with my 2nd) but i understand that the longer you wait the harder it is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)