Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

almost 20 months past and....(update)

Posted by   + Show Post

....my daughter just does not sleep through the night without a meal. She wakes up every night at around the same time and starts crying or moaning and keeps going and does not go back to sleep ....I feel like I'm on the "autopilot" just get up give her the milk and change er and go back to sleep.....it only takes about 10 min to d it but it takes a long time for me to fall back to sleep....and then a long day taking care of 3 kids....

Yes I'm aware that she should be off the formula and bottle by now. We are slowly "graduating". And I tried NOT getting up.....but she'll just go fo hours moaning  and that means rough night for both of us...

Any advice ?

Thank you ladies so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought a lot about the fact that maybe she is not getting enough food during the day ( the problem is that she's always nibbling and does not want to sit down and have a meal and always WANTS to nibble on something). She is not underweight btw (somewhere around 25% ) but not being on formula will not kill her either.

I will try to take a first step tonight - if she wakes up as usual I'll wait as long as I can (without loosing my mind and sleep) for her to go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I will offer her just plain water. Will keep you ladies posted on how that goes.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
Amybelle
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I hope you are putting money aside for Dental Bills. Bottle Rot is a real threat

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Just so you know for your second baby, you should never wean at night before the age of 1, unless your baby naturally stops waking up.  That is actually dangerous and can lead to failure to thrive.  Babies that young NEED to eat through the night still if they are waking up to do so.

Quoting xtriciax:

i night weaned dd at 3 or 4 months 2 nights of crying (no more then 10 mins) and she was good. she is the only one i have (im preg with my 2nd) but i understand that the longer you wait the harder it is

xtriciax
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

well her pedi said i could and encouraged and DD thrived as she should. thank you for your concern though

Quoting jackiewal10:

Just so you know for your second baby, you should never wean at night before the age of 1, unless your baby naturally stops waking up.  That is actually dangerous and can lead to failure to thrive.  Babies that young NEED to eat through the night still if they are waking up to do so.

Quoting xtriciax:

i night weaned dd at 3 or 4 months 2 nights of crying (no more then 10 mins) and she was good. she is the only one i have (im preg with my 2nd) but i understand that the longer you wait the harder it is

SarahsAMommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My dd is 8 months and still waking every 2 hrs at night to eat but we nurse. Bottles can be hard. Have to tried the water trick? Sometimes that helps them give it up.

kailu1835
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I quit feeding my son in his crib.  I feed him dinner and give him a bottle about 20 minutes before bedtime.  Then we cuddle and I put him to bed.  The first week, he still woke up at night, but I refused to feed him.  I cuddled him and put him back to bed.  He cried, but in just a fussy type of way so I let him.  If he got frantic I'd go back and do it all over again.  Because I am not doing it cold turkey, he still wakes up between 3 and 5 and I give him a bottle, in my arms, and then put him back in bed without the bottle.  He gets up for the day at 7.  This is a drastic change from him waking up 3 and 4 times a night asking for a bottle.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, it's your kid and you will ultimately do what you want.  Just know that the only thing doctors and pediatricians have training in, is MEDICINE. They don't know anything about nutrition or anything else.  Do your own research.  Doctors do not know everything.

Quoting xtriciax:

well her pedi said i could and encouraged and DD thrived as she should. thank you for your concern though

Quoting jackiewal10:

Quoting xtriciax:

AirForceWife13
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I just went cold turkey. My sob didny seem to mine. He whined for about 10 minutes in his bed then laidndown and went to sleep when he realized I wasnt coming.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NannyElin
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

i cant help with getting rid of the bottle cause i cant even get rid of that with my lo.... (she is very stubborn)

but going back to sleep with milk or juice of any kind is not ideal.... maybe try giving her pediasures or something filling like that before going to bed and then brush her her teeth and send her to bed.... im not sure if that will work i never really had to deal with my older dd waking up at night. but she always had a pediasure or boost right before bed and she slept through the night.

Dvegas
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

So you are both not tired at the same time maybe try having one of you sleep in her room to soothe her to sleep right away for a few nights. Take turns so you both have a chance to sleep. Her not eating at night will make her eat more during the day. Also try feeding her dinner closer to her bed time. I feed my 15month old dinner from 5:30-6 (he likes to eat slow)  and he is in bed by 7. God Luck to you:o)

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

After teeth brushing time, she should not have any milk until morning, you're going to ruin her teeth. Give her a sippy cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)