Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

almost 20 months past and....(update)

Posted by   + Show Post

....my daughter just does not sleep through the night without a meal. She wakes up every night at around the same time and starts crying or moaning and keeps going and does not go back to sleep ....I feel like I'm on the "autopilot" just get up give her the milk and change er and go back to sleep.....it only takes about 10 min to d it but it takes a long time for me to fall back to sleep....and then a long day taking care of 3 kids....

Yes I'm aware that she should be off the formula and bottle by now. We are slowly "graduating". And I tried NOT getting up.....but she'll just go fo hours moaning  and that means rough night for both of us...

Any advice ?

Thank you ladies so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought a lot about the fact that maybe she is not getting enough food during the day ( the problem is that she's always nibbling and does not want to sit down and have a meal and always WANTS to nibble on something). She is not underweight btw (somewhere around 25% ) but not being on formula will not kill her either.

I will try to take a first step tonight - if she wakes up as usual I'll wait as long as I can (without loosing my mind and sleep) for her to go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I will offer her just plain water. Will keep you ladies posted on how that goes.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Does she have any weight issues?  Especially slow growth rate?  If not, then you can probably take steps to help curb the night feedings.

The best you can do is attempt to feed her moreduring the day.  But dont' forgo all the night feedings at once (that will backfire).  Attempt to slowly wean her off of them one feeding at a time :).  You will probably noticee that her schedule will change, but that's my best suggestion :).

BabySocks0912
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

mine was the same.

i just dealt with it until eventually he stopped.

every parent and child is different. go with your own insincts on how to approach it.

there is no right or wrong way.

DerDer528
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the same situation..my dd is 2. She'll same up once or twice wanting her sippy with milk. I've even tried to water instead.. but nope
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids did this and I offered them a cup of water.  Don't want it? Go back to bed.  It was rough for a few nights but they got the idea.  You could even try giving her something high in protein before bed to keep her tummy full if she's hungry, like a little greek yogurt or something. :)

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Did you stop and happen to think that it may be the formula feeding that is the problem? Try a protein meal or snack at bed time of real food instead. The formula is easy for them to digest, so it's gone out of her little tummy quicker than real food. Proteins take even longer to digest. 

SophiaRsmom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

My daughter didn't sleep throught the night until she was 9 months old. I did all the things.. letting her cry it out. It went on for 4 weeks and i gave up. She would just sleep through the day instead and that wasn't a good thing. So I ended up putting water in her bottles and slamming them with rice when she woke up so she would just get a little bit of water and then the bottle would clog up. Eventually she would quit trying to eat and fall asleep and about a week later she stopped waking up all together for the bottle because I guess she didn't think it was worth it. LOL!! Good luck momma. I know it's hard. 

Mary229
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Start putting water in her bottle at night rather than milk.  That's how I broke my son of waking in the middle of the night.  Of course he was only 11 months old at the time, but I can't imagine the age difference should matter much.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I would give her a bedtime snack but nothing during the night.

MissyMegs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Kids are different. Some are easier to wean off then others... 

Tbh - My first child didn't take just water at nite til she was 3 or 4 when she understood that it was water or nothing... My toddler is the same as a prior mother's.. I have tried to give her water, but she doesn't give up no matter how long I ignore her.. She's a fighter.. Not much I can do about that honestly but try it again another time.. 

Kids are different, if she doesn't want to give it up now. Try it another time. Cold turkey doesn't work for everyone though.. 

I'll probably keep giving milk to my toddler in a sippy til she is ready.. At this time, being 26wks pregnant and her being clingy, and just got her into a toddler bed... Is all too much for her at this time.. I may wait til Dec, when she turns 3 to wean her off again..

Good Luck... Go with your gut... and Don't push it.. you don't want to traumatize her as it could only make things worse.. Works the same with potty training. Think of potty training the same as weaning a child off something such as this... 

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Give her a snack before she goes to bed, that might help her sleep better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)