Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One mama's "cure" for colic

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 0 Replies

First off let me say I'm not a doctor, I'm just a mom. Secondly, please talk with your doctor before trying anything. And lastly, this worked for my 2 girls and their cousin and a few family friends' babies BUT I don't claim for it to be an end-all-be-all cure. I am also in no way shape or form work for or endorse the products stated.

Now that that's out of the way lets get started. I had my oldest daughter in October of 2010. I tried to breastfeed her as long as possible but only got in about 2 solid weeks before my milk supply started to wain. (I have hemochromotosis a blood disorder that makes me retain too much iron and effects my milk supply) But from day one she was screaming everytime she would eat, she would spit up, wouldn't sleep long at all and def wouldn't sleep on her back. So I started her on formula (Gerber Good Start Green Can) The doctor checked her for everything under the sun and determined it to be just colicky type symptoms so he recommended a homeopathic medicine called "Mommy's Bliss" (organic fennel and ginger herbal supplement) after each feeding. I tell you what after 4 weeks of screaming and sleepless nights, it was "bliss" when she fell asleep (and stayed asleep for 4 hours) after eating and getting her first dose of the medicine. We also made sure to do baby massages and the bicycle legs and propped her up on a pillow on her tummy and rubbed her back. This routine went on for about another week, then we saw improvement. She started being more awake, alert and generally more happy. At about the 3 week mark (of treatment) she had upped her formula intake and increased her napping to 5-6 hours at a time, although she would still wake up several times at night fussy. But we stuck to it and got into a routine. By the time she was 2 1/2 months old she was burping and passing gas all on her own without much patting of the back or massaging. Then it happened, one morning I awoke with a start scared out of my mind and running over to the crib to check on my baby because I had just slept for 8 hours uninterrupted! And guess what? There she was peacefully sleeping! And has slept through the night since aside from the rare occurence of colds or upset tummies.

I'm only on here to hopefully help another mother who might be struggling with the feelings of hopelessness when dealing with a colicky baby. There are times when you are holding your baby who is screaming in pain and you feel as though there's not a DAMN thing you can do to make them feel better. It's one of the worst feelings a parent can feel. I've been there. I've been the one who hands her baby over to a relative, or even just put her in her crib, and wept until it hurt, then wept some more because I didn't know what to do. I wouldn't want anyone to go through that so if what I post may help someone then I would feel so wonderful to know that I helped a family and baby not go through that.

I just recently had my second daughter in December of 2012. She had the exact same symptoms as her sister and after getting checked out by the doctors and after some excrutiating 2 weeks of waiting for test results, they determined she had the same "just colicky" symptoms. So, after checking with my children's new doctor (we moved so we had to leave our beloved other doctor) we started the same routine with her. And I will tell you it went the same way with her as well almost to the letter. The only thing different between how things went was that my 2nd daughter spit up a little longer than her sister.

Now, like I said before, and I'm sorry I'm mentioning it so much but I know how some women can get bashed and I just want to state how neutral I am in all of that, I do not endorse nor am I employed or any way shape or form affiliated with the brands or products stated except being a long time customer of theirs.

Feel free to ask any questions!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)