Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Listen to your kids!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just something Ive been learning over the past four years of being a mother! I think some people think I run my kids to the doctor every time they sneeze but I swear I dont. That said, when my boys tell me something hurts, something is bothering them, I usually give it a day, maybe two, depending on the complaint and symptoms or lack thereof, and then take them in if it seems to have gotten worse or is consistent. A few times Ive been told theres nothing wrong with whichever boy is there but more than half the time there is something behind their complaints.

Two days ago, my twenty month old son told me he had bees in his ears. I was amused and baffled and told my husband I'd wait and see if it kept up, thinking maybe he had another ear infection (he doesnt get any symptoms when he gets them) or that the last one, a nasty double infection, might have done some damage that we hadnt caught and I would push the doctor to do a basic hearing check if he kept complaining. So I took him in today and sure enough, he has something causing pressure in his eustachian tubes, something causing his eardrum to bulge outward instead of inward like it should. Our pediatrician was fascinated that the symptoms translated into 'bees in the ears' but his condition is legitimate and very real.
Moral of the story, had I dismissed the 'bees' as my little guy being silly, I would never have known something was wrong or known to keep my eye on the symptoms for signs that it's worsening, at which time-last resort-we might have to have tubes put in his ears.
So moms, trust your instincts and listen to your kids!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AbbysMom1017
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you mama! Glad he's ok

PISCIS29
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Yea mine has an appt coming up bc she tells m almost every day her tummy hurts a little after she eats. Hopefully it's nothing serious
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I hope not-good luck! Good for you for listening to her!

Quoting PISCIS29:

Yea mine has an appt coming up bc she tells m almost every day her tummy hurts a little after she eats. Hopefully it's nothing serious

squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Good job, momma.

Also, don't just lay down and take the diagnosis if you feel it is not right.

2 yrs ago, my now 3 1/2 yr old started waking up unable to walk, unable to bend her right leg, and severe swelling. The drs started off telling me it was just joint swelling from a bout of Rotavirus she had. When it didn't clear up like they said, it was a toddler fracture. When the x ray came back clear, they swore they didn't know what was going on, ordered a bunch of blood work and sent us to an ortho. The ortho took one look at her legs and felt it was Juvenile Arthritis. He sent a Rhuematologist in to see her. The Rhuematologist swore it couldn't be Juvenile Arthritis bc she lacks the blood marker for Auto-immune disorders. They just started treating the symptoms instead of trying to figure out why a 16 month old all of a sudden was in horrible amounts of pain and couldn't walk. I scheduled an appointment at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh 6 months after she first showing symptoms since where we were going would not help her. They took one look at her and were 99% positive she had JA. In that 6 months, I had spread to 4 other joints. They ordered a blood test to check for Lyme (Lyme can mimick Arhritis) and started one of the 2 meds that would slow down her symptoms. 2 weeks after starting it, her attitude started to improve. She wasn't screaming all day every day. She was happy. 8 months on the meds, she was able to walk normal. She nearly cried the first time she jumped bc she had been trying for over a year and could never do it. Don't let drs push you into denial. If you feel the diagnosis is wrong, keep pushing. Get a second opinion. Get a third opinion if you must. You are your child's only advocate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PISCIS29
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Yea my mil says she's just getting attent. Idts I'd rather double check. 2 yrs ago we had a neighbor who's daughter had a stomach ache well they didnt take her to doc and her appendix burst she died on the way to doc.
So now I'm always cautious

Quoting CatFishMom:

Quoting PISCIS29:

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, my mother always said the same thing to me when I went to the nurse every day for a month in the fourth grade with the same stomachache complaint. She would sit there and yell at me in the car when she would pick me up until she finally took me to the doctor and found out I had an anxiety problem. A small thing, yes, but it was real and he told her so, and they treated it with Mylanta every day before I ate. It solved the problem. So many people are so quick to dismiss kids' complaints, it makes me crazy! Thats so sad for your neighbor. :-(

Quoting PISCIS29:

Yea my mil says she's just getting attent. Idts I'd rather double check. 2 yrs ago we had a neighbor who's daughter had a stomach ache well they didnt take her to doc and her appendix burst she died on the way to doc.

Quoting CatFishMom:

Quoting PISCIS29:

PISCIS29
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Yeah they moved back to Mexico sold their house. Too many memories I guess

Quoting CatFishMom:

Yeah, my mother always said the same thing to me when I went to the nurse every day for a month in the fourth grade with the same stomachache complaint. She would sit there and yell at me in the car when she would pick me up until she finally took me to the doctor and found out I had an anxiety problem. A small thing, yes, but it was real and he told her so, and they treated it with Mylanta every day before I ate. It solved the problem. So many people are so quick to dismiss kids' complaints, it makes me crazy! Thats so sad for your neighbor. :-(

Quoting PISCIS29:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Quoting PISCIS29:

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You should post your story for other moms, just like I did my little experience here. Im fortunate to have an awesome doctor who is extremely thorough and doesnt just write things off when he doesnt know the answers-he works hard to figure out whats going on. When my older son had this strange infection on his penis-started out as an infection and changed-he sent me to a dermatologist I came to determine was a total quack(wanted me to do this insane regimine of creams and washes and solutions which he SAID would soften the skin of the penis and could be DANGEROUS, but he didnt actually know what the problem was. Are you kidding?). When I called the ped. and told them, he sent me a different one without hesitation or criticism of any kind. The second guy was awesome and diagnosed simple eczema on his penis that had been brought on by the infection (I think, this was a couple years ago now) and a simple steriod cream solved the problem in a few days whereas nothing we had done before had even touched it.

Youre completely right, we ARE our children's only advocate and it's important that we, as mothers, remember that. So often we listen to the doubts of others around us telling us we're being stupid, the kids are just wanting attention (like the other poster here, kudos to you for not listening to that voice!) or it's just a 'kid thing' as my mother likes to say, and it's nothing. If WE dont believe in them and fight to help them, who will? Good for you for fighting for your daughter!

Quoting squeakers2:

Good job, momma.

2 yrs ago, my now 3 1/2 yr old started waking up unable to walk, unable to bend her right leg, and severe swelling. The drs started off telling me it was just joint swelling from a bout of Rotavirus she had. When it didn't clear up like they said, it was a toddler fracture. When the x ray came back clear, they swore they didn't know what was going on, ordered a bunch of blood work and sent us to an ortho. The ortho took one look at her legs and felt it was Juvenile Arthritis. He sent a Rhuematologist in to see her. The Rhuematologist swore it couldn't be Juvenile Arthritis bc she lacks the blood marker for Auto-immune disorders. They just started treating the symptoms instead of trying to figure out why a 16 month old all of a sudden was in horrible amounts of pain and couldn't walk. I scheduled an appointment at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh 6 months after she first showing symptoms since where we were going would not help her. They took one look at her and were 99% positive she had JA. In that 6 months, I had spread to 4 other joints. They ordered a blood test to check for Lyme (Lyme can mimick Arhritis) and started one of the 2 meds that would slow down her symptoms. 2 weeks after starting it, her attitude started to improve. She wasn't screaming all day every day. She was happy. 8 months on the meds, she was able to walk normal. She nearly cried the first time she jumped bc she had been trying for over a year and could never do it. Don't let drs push you into denial. If you feel the diagnosis is wrong, keep pushing. Get a second opinion. Get a third opinion if you must. You are your child's only advocate.

squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a strong support system. Everyone involved, aside from drs, were supportive and concerned for her. She was the ideal child. She never really cried, was no trouble, from the time she woke up till she went to bed she was smiles. A child doesn't just go from that to a kid that hits, and screams night and day. I have since switch peds, which for the most part I like (its a big practice and we often seen different drs. Most the drs have been wonderful with her. One even sat down with me after she started her meds and made sure I understood what every med did and what risks came with them). She also has a condition called Brachydactyly, which doesn't harm her in any way, it just causes her fingers to grow weird. She also would have to have OT to have "proper" hand function. Her hands function fine, but not in a way that an average child's would. It took 18 months with her original ped to get them to acknowledge her fingers were different. I am probably one of those mom's that the drs hate, but my kids health is #1. She is on immune supressant drugs. She had a simple cough in June caused by seasonal allergies. It turned into Pnuemonia. My son was born with a weird rash on his side. Even the derm we have seen has no clue what it is, but its not spreading or changing in anyway, so all together, we aren't concerned. They tried to say it was shingles when he was born, but that would mean he would have had to have chicken pox... in utero. SMH. We are all kinds of fun health problems here. Lol

Quoting CatFishMom:

You should post your story for other moms, just like I did my little experience here. Im fortunate to have an awesome doctor who is extremely thorough and doesnt just write things off when he doesnt know the answers-he works hard to figure out whats going on. When my older son had this strange infection on his penis-started out as an infection and changed-he sent me to a dermatologist I came to determine was a total quack(wanted me to do this insane regimine of creams and washes and solutions which he SAID would soften the skin of the penis and could be DANGEROUS, but he didnt actually know what the problem was. Are you kidding?). When I called the ped. and told them, he sent me a different one without hesitation or criticism of any kind. The second guy was awesome and diagnosed simple eczema on his penis that had been brought on by the infection (I think, this was a couple years ago now) and a simple steriod cream solved the problem in a few days whereas nothing we had done before had even touched it.

Youre completely right, we ARE our children's only advocate and it's important that we, as mothers, remember that. So often we listen to the doubts of others around us telling us we're being stupid, the kids are just wanting attention (like the other poster here, kudos to you for not listening to that voice!) or it's just a 'kid thing' as my mother likes to say, and it's nothing. If WE dont believe in them and fight to help them, who will? Good for you for fighting for your daughter!

Quoting squeakers2:

Good job, momma.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured