Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need hair advice

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 23 Replies
I need something for my hair. Preferably natural. It tends to have a greasy look since I cut it in September and started going away when it started growing, but I trimmed it and its looking greasy again. My friend went to cosmetology school and washing hair every day damages it and ruins the natural oils in it. I also had my hair dyed professionally. I've dyed it before with Revlon and Garnier Fructis and never have had this happen. I use Suave shampoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cheribomb
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

its probably the suave shampoo... that shit is crap.  

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Probably not since Ive used it my whole lifeand Im 26 and it just started when I got my hair dyed and cut.

Quoting Cheribomb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheribomb
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

um you do realize that as you get older shit changes?  like having your dry to normal hair change to normal to oily hair over night?  or having dry skin your whole life then all of a sudden its greasy all the time.  wait until your 30s :)  try a new shampoo.   

Quoting Jenn8604:

Probably not since Ive used it my whole lifeand Im 26 and it just started when I got my hair dyed and cut.

Quoting Cheribomb:

Photobucket

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

How often are you washing your hair now?  I am pretty sure the dye is not causing the greasy feeling since i have had my hair dyed and nothing like that happened.  What you can try to use is the dry 'poo that a few brands have put in stores.  It is like a hair spray powder that you brush through the hair.   Also, are you using a shampoo meant for colored/damaged hair?   You could be using the wrong type of shampoo for your hairs current condition.

AromaDrops33
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I use the DoTerra essential oil shampoo. I get oily hair as well and it's helped a lot

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

STOP USING SUAVE!!!! It's the root of your problems. I know that it is about the only thing that works for drying out greasy hair, but it's actually also what's making it more greasy. It strips the natural oils from your scalp and hair forcing yoru body to produce MORE oil and more and more... If you get away from it after about a month your body will go back to normal. 

Your hair doesn't need a detergent based shampoo at all. Best option is to wash with baking soda and condition with apple cider vinegar. If you just can't bite the bullet and give up shampoo because you've got it in your head that you MUST wash with shampoo... Switch to a salon brand that is NOT detergent based. 

Here's an article for you http://www.vintagesavoirfaire.com/2010/11/the-secret-to-ditching-your-shampoo-forever/

Castile soap is one that is often recommended to use. It's a non-detergent soap and has about a billion uses. 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

When you get your hair cut, are you playing with it more or running your hands through it more often? I've noticed right after a hair cut I tend to fidget with it and play with it a lot more until I get use to the feel. The natural oils on your hands will make it really greasy. You can also get dry shampoo spray for days in between washes that will take some of the oiliness out of it. I don't think it's the suave shampoo, I have been to beauty school and I absolutely love suave, it makes my hair feel incredibly soft! You also may want to try alternating shampoos though. Using one type for a long period of time can cause build up that can cause greasy looking hair as well. Try a different shampoo then switch between a few. My general rule is after every bottle is used or if my hair starts getting oily I'll switch for a while.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
every other day. my friends' cosmo instructor washes hers only 2xs a wk to not damage her hair and hers is amazing.
Ive used dry shampoo and it makes it look greasier.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How often are you washing your hair now?  I am pretty sure the dye is not causing the greasy feeling since i have had my hair dyed and nothing like that happened.  What you can try to use is the dry 'poo that a few brands have put in stores.  It is like a hair spray powder that you brush through the hair.   Also, are you using a shampoo meant for colored/damaged hair?   You could be using the wrong type of shampoo for your hairs current condition.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I am thinking you may want to go to a salon for consultation on the right shampoo for you.  I use head and shoulders dry scalp 2-3 times a week.  More if i get stuff in it during summer thanks to dd loving to make messes.

Quoting Jenn8604:

every other day. my friends' cosmo instructor washes hers only 2xs a wk to not damage her hair and hers is amazing.
Ive used dry shampoo and it makes it look greasier.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
only my bangs. but the back is greasy too. and dry shampoo makes it greasier.
And I switch every now and then. ive evenvused Biolage (sp) and John frieda But Suave is the best for my hair. i have been switching between it and Sei Bella from Melaleuca.

Quoting aurora.dove:

When you get your hair cut, are you playing with it more or running your hands through it more often? I've noticed right after a hair cut I tend to fidget with it and play with it a lot more until I get use to the feel. The natural oils on your hands will make it really greasy. You can also get dry shampoo spray for days in between washes that will take some of the oiliness out of it. I don't think it's the suave shampoo, I have been to beauty school and I absolutely love suave, it makes my hair feel incredibly soft! You also may want to try alternating shampoos though. Using one type for a long period of time can cause build up that can cause greasy looking hair as well. Try a different shampoo then switch between a few. My general rule is after every bottle is used or if my hair starts getting oily I'll switch for a while.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured