Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help please- worried step mom

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello,

I do not have any children of my own. I have been a care giver to my boyfriends daughter for 3 years. We have her 3 days a week. I have some concerns about something going on at her mothers house. I would like to get feedback here to determine if I over reacting or if I had reason to be worried.

My step daughter is 6 years old. Her mother has brought Jodi bras to wear. Jodi has a "date" to the movies tomorrow. Last year on valentines day Jodi had her "boyfriend" over. They enjoyed a candle light dinner together. Following dinner, Jodi changed into a dress and danced for her boyfriend. I am concerned that this is too young for these behavior and it will lead Jodi to be advanced sexually too early. Jodi told me one day that she didnt want to wear a certain outfit to school because her boyfriend wouldnt like it.

Am I being paranoid? Is this normal 6 year old activities?

thank you

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoeMax
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I don't have any girls, but I can tell you if I did they would not be allowed to date. Having a boy as a friend is one thing, but allowing a little girl to dance for a boy in that way is definatly not appropriate. I do have a 5 year old boy, and I would not allow him to do things like that with a girl, way too young for that kind of relationship.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steptoeva
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. Now I just have to find a way to discuss my concerns with her mother.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I don't have a daughter of my own, only a son but I do have a step daughter who is 7 and I can tell you Hell would freeze over before SO and and her Mom would allow this kind of activity, or for that matter any kind of "date" until she's an appropriate age. 6 is way too young for that, does your SO know about this?

elzmnsf
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Your boyfriend needs to be the one to talk to the mother, not you.... But I have 2 girls and no way in hell would that be going on at my house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama2
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

That shit would not fly with a daughter of mine (dont have any myself). I seriously wonder how old her "boyfriend" is and what the hell her mother is thinking to allow such bahaviors! 

aJiG827
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Um. She is way too young for that. Having a "boyfriend" is one thing. I had one at her age. Not like anything happened. I just told people he was my boyfriend. But the bras, candlelight dinners. It's a bit much.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I have a 5 yr old--we are WAY off from bras, dates, or calling anyone her "boyfriend."

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM
That little girl is way too young foe dates and dinners with someone other than daddy or even a stepdad imo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
widowedmomoftwo
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM

you need to stay out of it.  Talk to your boyfriend about your concerns and what you know and have him talk to her mother.  I'm a stepmom myself and this is not something you want to step in the middle of as much as you care about her and her welfare

Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Sounds like her mother is sexualizing her which is scary. A outfit for dancing for her bf at age 6? Candlelit dinners? No, they should be meeting at play grounds. They should not having any real dates at all, just play dates in which they do kid things.

Good luck getting her mother to change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)